Pages

Saturday, December 10, 2016

First round of Christmas grocery shopping

When the boys both went off to college last fall, I did not change my weekly jar allowance for grocery. Instead I tucked $20 automatically into a Christmas grocery jar. Any spare $5 or $10 went in too.

It was nice to have that money when I headed off today with DH to buy all the non perishable Christmas groceries and a few final presents.

First I made DH help me clean the fridge and tidy. You can't come home with bags of groceries and put them in a messy fridge or cluttered pantry. He grumbled but helped out.

It didn't take long to fill the cart with items from the list.  It felt good to have the pantry and cupboards full and ready to go.  It had gotten more than a little lean.

We just don't grocery shop the way we used to when the boys lived here full time.

3 comments:

SAM said...

I bet it was a good feeling to have a separate find not impact your budget. Clever savings tool.

Rose said...

Nice! I finally got a Costco membership. With two more mouths to feed, we go through the good like crazy

Jolie said...

SAM - it made it so much more stress free shopping, knowing the money was there. DH still asked where the money was coming from. I had to explain (again) how setting little bits aside all year adds up.

Rose - Two more sure would. I have a membership too but the store is 1.5 hours away so those trips have to be when I am already in the area. Otherwise it seems silly to pay for a tank of gas to get there to 'save' money :-)