Pages

Friday, August 14, 2015

US money decision

Our dollar is dropping and is rumoured to not improve in health until at least after xmas.

I needed money for tuition and money for living expenses so I had to bite the bullet and borrow money on my LOC and take the hit converting Canadian dollars to US.

I went in a couple weeks ago and went through the paperwork of getting the limit of my LOC raised to $25 000. The good news is my credit score is still very high. She was surprised and impressed.

I then borrowed tappd into that LOC from $8000 to $20 000.

I then converted that $12 000 Canadian to US and took an evil hit on the exchange

Why oh why did I not convert last Aug when the dollar was at 91 cents?

I now have, counting the bit I had before, just over $10 000 US.

DS1's tuition was posted yesterday. $9400 US. We have to wait until Sept to find out how much of that will get covered by the scholarship. I am guessing I will be paying around $4500 of that.


DS went with me to the bank yesterday to convert his summer earnings to US dollars. It made the dollar exchange much more real for him, thinking of how much money, how many hours of work, disappeard to make that conversion.

Now to work on paying down that LOC

2 comments:

Jane said...

Our weak dollar is causing all sorts of problems; sending us into a recession probably is the worst problem. Our dollar is weak against the British pound also - I'll be paying $2.05 Cdn per pound this year compared to $1.86 last year. Ouch!

Jolie said...

That is a big ouch for you Jane. I am hoping our dollar gets back to normal land soon.