Pages

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

DS2's car

So we had our appointment with SGI (claims) for them to see DS2's car after the hail storm. They are used to seeing lots of little dents but they said it was rare to see such massive dents all over a car like that.

He did his once over and documented everything and stopped when the damage value was at
 $10 000, saying that was enough for the car to be written off. Then we had to wait for  a claims adjustor to evaluate the worth of the car.

It took awhile as everyone is on summer holidays. They came back with an initial value of $7600, which was more than I thought, honestly.

Then I had to take in the $6000+ in receipts from the past year for all the repairs we did: struts, transmission, upper and lower control arms, etc

Know what they offered us for that? $200. That's it. Said nothing counted but the transmission.

I was shocked.   Kind of sad that all that work was valued and almost nothing.

That cheque will come in a week or so and I will tuck it away until DS finds a vehicle he likes and we can afford.



3 comments:

Jane said...

That's too bad about not getting hardly any credit for all the repairs that have been done on DS2's car. Doesn't seem fair does it?! Hope it doesn't take too long to find a replacement!

The Asian Pear said...

Ouch. It seems a pity that the car had all that work done that amounted to not much in compensation. I hope you find a good car soon with school starting soon and winter just around the corner.

Jolie said...

yes it's definitely a kick in the teeth, but it is, what it is. I went yesterday to finalized the cancellation of his insurance with SGI and his package policy. I will receive some prorated refund cheques for those too.