That's how I think of today. There was nothing fancy about it. Nothing spectacular happened.
But I have this overwhelming feeling of being at peace.... of appreciating the minutiae of the day.
I did a great long walk this morning. Over 5K. I walked part of it with an old friend who had a few minutes for a 'walking coffee break' as she likes to call it. We used to teach together but are in different buildings now. She is heading to Uganda in 2 weeks on a Gorilla expedition. She is excited about shooting them.....with her camera :-) Such a brave and adventurous lady.
I decided today I was going to dye my hair. I can't justify the salon expense this round. I explored online and found a few colours that might work. The few times I dyed my hair myself it went very very dark when I was shooting for reddish brown. I wished I had kept the top of the box so I would know the colour. I know I blogged about it on here but darned if I could find the entry. I walked, yes walked, down to our little local drugstore. My top choice was not there, but my second one was.
It even ended up being free. One of my students had given me a lotto 6/49 ticket in my year end thank you card and I won! $10. The dye was $8.88 plus tax. Thank you student!!
It turned out pretty well. Not as reddish was I was hoping but not as dark as I feared. I may have to try that other choice next time. $8.88 is much better than the $80+ it would cost me at the salon, though I know they would have done a fantastic job.
I spent the afternoon outside on my little patio. It is now 1 year and a few days old. It was such richness to be able to be out there, the wind blowing gently and just....be at peace...read...rest. I didn't want to come in (and I am not a stay outside for hours and hours kind of girl)
On the reading list was a WW magazine, a Good Housekeeping magazine and Phillipa Gregory's The White Princess.
Here is a shot of my little oasis. Not fancy, but mine.
We bbq'd for supper. Pork chops and corn on the cob and ate outside. DS1 was home although DS2 was not. It was nice to just be together.
After supper I went for another walk. It was warmer than I thought. 25C. too hot for me but hey, a little sweating helps the body burn fat right?
I came home to curl up again outside, where I am, still. I don't seem to want to come in even though it's getting chilly out with this wind and some rain's coming. It is as though I am trying to freeze time by staying out here.
Such simplicity, but such incredible wealth.
Tuesday, Nice weekend!
1 day ago
3 comments:
Very lovely day! Your backyard is gorgeous - I would sit there and read as well. I am sure the mosquitoes are not as bad as here.
Thank Jennifer. It's not fancy or landscaped, but it is mine. I look around and see the fence we bought, paid for and built last year, my little deck and patio chairs, my clothesline, my kitty beside me, and it just makes me smile. The mosquitos are just starting. We had a wet June and with the heat they will be popping like corn.
Sounds like you're really enjoying the summer weekend now. And a lovely backyard indeed. We have patio but no shade which makes me not want to sit out there at all.
Post a Comment