Pages

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

July change and snowflakes

Spending mostly cash this month created some lovely change in my jar this month. I am constantly in awe of how it adds up. I AM also aware that this could be money I spend each month for groceries as it is actually part of my grocery budget.  I have gone back and forth on what I would want to do with the change and honestly I do love how it becomes such a simple way to create snowflakes.

This month I had $100 in change: 1 roll of toonies, 1 roll of loonies, 2 rolls of quarters, and a roll of dimes.

I also received a 'family allowance' cheque from the government. It is based on your income, the number of kids you have and their age. It traditionally comes once a month and the amount is tabulated after you file income tax and each ' year' begins in July. 

I have watched this amount dwindle each year as our income does not merit a larger cheque. Now that DS1 is 18, he  no longer qualifies. So my cheque for a whopping $26 came this week with a notice that says since the amount is so small, they are sending me the whole year's worth in one cheque.    I had to giggle at the cheque for $26 for the whole year.

Now that money used to go towards the boys RESPs but since it was so teeny and would have no monthly friends, I tucked that amount on my snowflakes and it will go to the bank.

1 comment:

Rose said...

I get about $150 per month for my three kids. I get $50 because my son is under six still. I know this amount is going down big time as soon as my oldest turns 18.. I have been using it mostly for RESP contributions too. Hoping I can pay off the car before my son turns six and I lose most/all of it.