Pages

Friday, May 17, 2013

Beginning of Grad season

Friday night I headed up to the community where my sister lives. It was my niece's graduation. Very small town. 15 graduates. I haven't been able to make it up for any of her siblings' grads so I really enjoyed the small town aspect of it all. We started with supper for the grads and their families at the community center. Then off we went to the school for the ceremony. She was valedictorian and I was so proud of her as she gave her speech. This is the last of the grandchildren, aside from my two, to graduate. I found myself tearing up quite a bit as I realized this would be me, at my son's. very soon. Long dresses are back in again. I remember my grad with it's ballgown. ahhh memories.

Tonight was my niece's graduation. She is the last of the grandchildren to graduate aside from my own two.  I haven't been able to make it up for her siblings' graduations so I was happy to get there for this one.

It was  a small town graduation. 14 graduates. These kids have been in the same class their whole lives and know each other inside and out. We started off the evening with a family only supper at the community center. Each graduate and his/her escort came in and paraded around so everyone could see. Then they were introduced and the MC told a little bit about the student, their memories of high school and their hopes for the future.

After the supper we went to the school for the ceremony. This was open to anyone, with chairs reserved for those who had been at the supper. I was very proud of her as she gave her valedictorian speech. I found myself tearing up quite a bit, only to receive a smack from her mother (my next oldest sister) to stop it  because I was making her cry. I realized that I would be in the same position very soon, and it was starting to sink in.  Long dresses are back in. Most of them strapless, but not all. Several of them had a corset laced back which looks lovely, but is a pain in the *ss to tighten or to fix should anything....err....upstairs.....be falling out.

After the ceremony there was a brief formal dance and then the extra family like moi headed home while the immediate family went home to change. There was a parent controlled party out on a grad's farm. It gives the kids a chance to celebrate in a very controlled evironment with the parents to be sure everyone was safe and got home safely.

Here is a picture of the back of my niece's dress. I love love love the blue.


They did family pictures that day. I wish I looked as pretty and put together as my sister does when she is all dolled up.

No comments: