Pages

Sunday, May 15, 2011

MS Walk...here we come

Today is year 2 of our family MS walk. We began it last year in support of Sister 1, who was diagnosed with MS in June of 2009.  The whole 'fam damily' came home last year to walk it and we raised about $5000 towards it. Not everyone can make it this year, unfortunately. A few of the nieces of nephews can't make it. I was hoping that my new great-nephew would be home so I could see him, but unfortunately they just can't. 14 hours round trip when ya work Monday morning just isn't do-able.

My sister has declined a lot in the past year. She has also developed hives all over that they attribute to the disorder. She walked half of the 3K last year. She won't even make a half K this year. We have plans made for her to call someone waiting at the base, so they can drive to pick her up. It's very sad to see how this has affected her life.

It makes me very angry at myself. I am overweight.  a lot. I love to walk and I know the benefits of what this can do for the mind, body and spirit. I knew this walk was coming and I have had time to get ready for it. Did I go walking? nope. hardly at all. I struggled to complete the walk last year and hated how that felt. And here I am, in the same  or worse condition than I was the year before. No one's fault but my own. I have the gift of being able to walk and the time to do it, and I squander it to sit at home on my @ss. Shameful.

I need to change and I know it. I need to appreciate that I can still walk, when my sister can't. I talk the talk well, but will I walk the walk? (pun intended)


Have a happy day everyone. Find a cause near and dear to your heart, and find a way to support it, whether it be through a walk, through volunteerism or through donations. It puts life in a whole new perspective for you!

3 comments:

Jessica Fletcher-Fierro said...

Good for you! I think finding motivation to walk and exercise out of gratefulness will be much more powerful than motivating yourself out of shame. Good luck!

~Carla~ said...

Bittersweet day for you... Too bad all your family couldn't come out, but at least you were able to help by raising $$! :) Being healthy & in shape is worth every drop of blood, sweat, & tears! When I was busting my ass to lose the 50lbs I had to lose, it took a LOT of determination & hard work, but it's done WONDERS for my self esteem & energy levels, etc... In the end though, you have to REALLY want it, because it doesn't come easy!

Jane said...

I hear you loud and clear jolie! I've kept pedalling in the basement all winter yet I'm heavier than I was last year at this time. It seems that the middleaged spread has moved in to stay, and I hate it!! A friend of mine recently went through treatment for breast cancer. We are all getting together in June to do a 24 hour relay - should be fun! We get a bunch of people together, put up a tent and take turns walking/running/crawling around a track for 24 hrs!
So sorry to hear about your sister's decline. MS is a relentless disease.