I know my posts have been far fewer than usual the past month. Things are changing in my world and money is always the casualty in one way or another.
Firstly, DS1 has not been able to find a part time job. He's been looking since the end of Feb and applied everywhere and heard nothing back. He's gotten good at filling in the different versions of application forms and the printer has been exercised as we access his resume. Having a job means many different things to him:
A) It will give him money for gas and spending.
B) It will be the only way he can fullfill his 1/3 of the share for his car plates; save for his trip; pay back on his share of his vehicle.
C) It will be a constructive way for him to spend his downtime this summer.
D) and most important, he will understand what it takes to earn $10, or $20. He will learn how to schedule his time and be more responsible. It's a taste of adulthood.
Last night he had a phonecall for an interview, Tuesday. he's very shy face to face so I don't know how much he can 'sell himself'. Fingers crossed.
Secondly is the big one. Our contract negotiations have hit difficult times and we have had job action, which is a first for us ever, in our province. On the money end, I lost one day's wage for the upcoming pay period and at least 2 for the next one.
The worst part of this is hearing the comments about what people think of my profession, their misunderstandings of what they think I do each day/week and the anger and hatred they feel. I understand there are 'less than stellar' folks in teaching, as there are in EVERY profession out there, but I haven't come across many. There are also amazing folk in every profession as well. I have a great staff and those are the words of the kids and parents we work with.
I have zero desire to get into any kind of debate with anyone on this matter. My philosophy is that I know ZIP about any other job that I haven't worked and I don't judge.
It does mean, as it has for many folk who have lost days of work, or worse, their job, that the money situation has to be rethought and rebalanced.
I know I have $2000 in my EF but I am really reluctant to touch it. If I have to, instead, I will dip into the back to school money and then work towards replenishing that.
I hope you all had a great weekend. It's the long weekend here and we actually had decent weather. It's cloudy today so I am off to the school.
Tuesday, Nice weekend!
1 day ago