This is not a rant or a b*tch fest. Merely a thinking out loud.
This is kinda /sorta our spring break week. We are off work Mon, Tues, Wed. We'd be off Monday anyways in other work land as it is Family Day here.
For Thursday and Friday, we have convention/meetings. These meetings are in a city about 150 KM away and they are mandatory. If you do not wish to attend, you must use your banked days (if you have any) or take days off without pay (which affect your pension).
All costs are out of pocket, and are not deductible.
Here is a breakdown of potention costs:
Version A - Staying over one night
Fuel to and Fro - $70
Parking Fees - $50 ( $25 per day, if you park above ground. More if below)
Misc Coffee etc - $10 for morning drive or evening return
Breakfast - $10 (for one morning say at Tim's)
Lunch - $20 ( for two days in Food Court if one goes the cheap way)
Supper for one night - $30
Hotel Fees for one day split with a roomie - $85
Total for Version A - $275
Version A - Staying over two nights
often people will go down the night before it starts to avoid that ghastly early early morning drive in
Assume all above except:
- add one more breakfast - $10
- add one more night hotel - $85
- add $20 for misc expenses (drinks or a fast supper, munchies etc)
Total for Version B - $390
Version C - drive down for each day
Fuel - $140 (for two days)
Parking Fees - $50
Misc Coffee breakfast for being on road by 2 - $10
Lunch - $20
Total for Version C - $220
This really is bare bones in many ways. It assumes no retail therapy. It assumes food court meals. It assumes it isn't frigid cold and one has to repeatedly start vehicle to keep it warm or pay double/triple to park below ground in heated garage. It assumes any extra munchies you bring from home, which you have purchased somewhere out of another budget category so they aren't really free. It assumes you buy nothing at the displays they have. It assumes no Costco runs.
Version A and B assumes no major evening entertainment...movie out...drinks...fancier supper...etc. Version A and B also requires one find childcare back at home for day and for oever night, which is a total pain in the *ss, especially if you do not have family in the same area.
Version C means up early and a lot of driving. It means 'good luck finding a parking spot near the facility' as those who are in the city will be there before you. It means you feel rush rush rush all the time. It means finding someone to watch over the lil ones from early day til supper time.
I've done all three versions before. There really are pros and cons to each. Staying in makes it feel more like a holiday and if many of your staff are, some real bonding can happen.
What will I do this time? Version C which means part of the Gas money can be split, IF they chip in.
I really do resent being 'required' to do something that costs out of pocket like this. If it were a conference I've chosen to go to, with topics that make me itch to get there, then I don't mind a bit. But this way....feels less fun.
Did I budget for this? sigh. nope. competely slipped my mind.
Do you have situations where you have to go out of town for training, PD, conferences etc where you pay out of pocket? Please say yes and I'll feel much better :P
Tuesday, Nice weekend!
1 day ago
6 comments:
I've always been reimbursed for everything, so no. I'd be furious if I was in your shoes though! If they expect you to be there, they should put up the money for it. I'd probably be inclined to just take vacation days and skip it.
Required and they are not compensating in any way?! That is frustrating!! Our board pays us to go to our PD days. Full-time teachers also get mileage if it is out of town, or the board will arrange a bus. I haven't heard of multiple day workshops that are a far drive where you would need to stay over though, but I do think your board should provide more. Hoepfully you can carpool!
Ack. How awful. Mandatory and nothing is even reimbursed? Do they at least feed you lunch during the conventions?
Do you know anyone in those cities? Maybe you can stay with them to keep your cost down?
lunch is not provided. "on your own". Whenever we have a conference we choose to go to, say on Science or Math, hotel, mileage and meals are comped.
This is a whole dif kettle of fish. happy happy LOL
Wow, I'm sorry, that sucks. Are your miles at least tax deductible? Out of curiosity, how come you're not considering using your banked days?
I'm like "savings." Anything work related I've been able to get reimbursed. But then I'm in the private sector as a engineer and not in a job like yours. That would be so frustrating to me too!
Post a Comment