Pages

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Saturday this'n'that

Well the week off/conference is over and I sit here curled up with a cup of coffee watching the snow lightly come down.

A busy week that included:

-- beginning the RRSP process
-- a fun family day with the boys, catching a movie, some food, a bit of shopping and lots of laughs
-- some items checked off the to do list at school
-- a bit of cleaning and organizing
-- some Olympic watching

oh, and I took my change in to the bank. I started tucking it aside for  a personal challenge in....November, I think. I had challenged myself to save $100 in change to put towards lump sum. Happily, I rolled myself towards $200 and I took it, along with $220 other snowflakes, to equal $420 dollars. It was very exciting to take it all in and whap it down on that debt. Barring no surprises, I would be done paying off this debt with the May payment and half of the June one.  Very exciting!

So speaking of surprises, DS2 learned this week he needs glasses. Lordy. This is new for me as a parent. The frames and prescription will run us somewhere in the $400s from their estimate. I will find out when the frames he chose come in so we can double check. I will now begin the journey to figure out how much is covered by my plan and if there is any coverage at all through his father's.

Tummy's rumbling so it's time for some breakfast. Happy Saturday, all.

9 comments:

Sharon said...

Sounds like a great day!

I just spent $550.00 in December on glasses and eye appointments for my two younger children. I couldn't believe it came to that much, AND we have eye care insurance...good grief!

Anonymous said...

I've been meaning to post about this but I 100% recommend Clearycontacts.ca for glasses. I was able to get 4 pairs for the amount I'm covered by insurance ($200) and they have lots of designer frames.. so it's not like they're cheap. I suggested this place to my dad and he got his contacts from there, the exact same brand he used to get from the eye dr and he was able to save $100+ off the price.

Anyhow, it's worth checking out in my opinion, I will never go back to paying full price again.

Have a great weekend :D

Jolie said...

Sharon- was that $550 after what your insurance covered, or before.

echoingmetaphor - thanks for the site. The acuvue didn't give my prescription options. I usually use proclear, which I found under the discount contacts page. 1 box of 6 each would have been $68 including shipping, plus whatever tax they add on (which I couldn't get to unless I filled it all in). That would have put it in the high $70s I am guessing. It was a US site though so there would be that difference as well, which brings it close to what I pay here. It was a really interesting site to peek at though. Thank you!!!

Jolie said...

The contacts would have been for me though. Didn't make that clear in my post LOL

Anonymous said...

That's a fabulous payment! Wow.. and all from change! Good stuff!! :) Hope your ds's glasses don't add up too fast! You'd die if I told you how much my sis spent on hers.. LOL!! Ouch!

The Asian Pear said...

that's fabulous that you got to snowflake so much. and I'm so proud that you got your RRSP started. I need to go talk to my bank about my RRSPs soon too.

have a wonderful sunday!

Anonymous said...

Yeah for the snowflakes:) On an unrealted topic: One of your son's is a curler, right? What is the objective in curling? I was watching the Olympics last night and curling was on and thought of you and your son. How do they "score" points and why do they people lead with those brush things?

Jolie said...

Halfdozen - I remember when I was younger that mine added up quickly for my mom. I really could use a pair to wear when I take my contacts out but the cost just prevents me.


Asian Pear - awww thank you so much.

Anonymous said...

The contacts & glasses site is totally Canadian, it ships from Vancouver! And anytime I've ordered I've gotten free shipping!