Pages

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Adventures in RRSPs

Ok so I am getting my first RRSPs. I am intimidated by the whole process. I am woefully ignorant of financial investments. I am rather embarrassed that I am 40 and I am just starting. I am rather embarrassed that my start is a mere $1000.

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo....

I went to my Credit Union yesterday as that is where I keep the ’savings’ portion of my meagre world. I needed an appt for RRSPs. The confused teller, after getting my name wrong three times, booked me in for two that afternoon. "Would you like me to write that down for you?" she asks.  "No thank you", I reply. It's 10 AM now so I am pretty sure I can remember an appt in 'four' :-) hours.

I get there at two to have the RRSP agent annoyed that I wasn’t there at ONE for my meeting. I blinked, looked over the agent to the teller who i dealt with and said nicely “I wasn’t here at one because she booked my appointment for two”. The teller ducked her head and knew she’d messed up, but once in the agent’s office she mentions again that she had to reschedule things because I missed me appointment. I gently re-explain the error was not mine but the girl at the front. After saying that it is unlikely the girl made a mistake (meaning “I” did??) she goes to her computer appt book and we learn that the teller still had a mistake on my name. Rather a validation for me I thought. “Well she’s new”, the agent says.

All that to find out that my smaller local branch no longer writes up those policies and I have to go to the main branch to do so, and make yet another appointment to get there.

A wasted day; I got blamed for something not my fault. LOL Hopefully it goes better at the main branch today. BMO is looking better in comparison

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

I know nothing about RRSP's either, but PLEASE do not feel bad about your age and amount. My mother is almost 60 and nary a dime to her name. I am pushing 40 myself with over $100,000 in debt, so you are doing FABULOUS!

Oh, didn't you know? The businesses are ALWAYS right. That and everyone but you owns the road.

Girl Makes Cents said...

Ughh that would be frustrating. I would be tempted to go to a different FI to do RRSPs.

Debt Free Girl said...

I can't believe they treated you like that. . . That's insane!

Jessie said...

that would have been so frustrating! I'm impressed that you stayed with that bank to get your RRSP.

Freckleface said...

I'm not sure if you had a typo in your paragraph:

"It's 10 AM now so I am pretty sure I can remember an appt in three hours."

But, three hours after 10:00 makes it 1:00 p.m. after all??

Jolie said...

LOL absolutely a typo. Thanks.