We had a wonderful time exploring different parts of the city. First there was Chinatown which was lightyears away from anything I'd ever seen. NOW I understand when ppl on PF blogs say "buy your fruits and veggies at the markets". Makes total sense as the prices here are 3x as much as these city market place prices. Chinatown was a mixture of voices and busyness, sights and signs I couldn't read and more than one thing I didn't recognize. We didn't have a ton of time to explore, more just a surface level.
After that we dipped our toes in Kensington Market. There wasn't tons of time but it was lovely having a pain au chocolate and a latte at Wanda's Pie in the Sky. I had trouble deciding which lovely, decadent pastry to choose. I could see spoiling myself for breakfast here every weekend.


We then took the streetcar trolley down to Roger's Center to catch the Blue Jay's game. I will be the first to admit I am not a baseball fan. I certainly understand the concept of the game and played it as a child but I haven't followed it and couldn't begin to tell you any of the players on the team. Still, it was very exciting to head to a Major League game and experience it. There was a massive downpour and huge T storm as we headed there. Boy lightning sure echos between those tall skyscrapers. Makes a girl jump!!
I loved the game. It was not so much just the game itself, but the entire experience: the crowds, the different shops inside, the food, the roof being opened partway through the game. Let me tell you, seeing that roof open and seeing the CN tower directly across, RIGHT THERE, was pretty amazing. The game was good too :-) We won.
We hit the CN tower. I realize it is the cliche of tourist attractions in Toronto, but hey, I'm a tourist!! I have to admit that my knees knocked a bit as we approached it and got a neck cranking view of how high it really was. It cost the earth to go in and see things but this was a once in a lifetime experience. Unless I bring the kids, I probably won't go again. I learned I have some fear of heights. Who knew? I have to admit I didn't know a lot about the structure and was quite amazed by all the different parts there. Main viewing level, outdoor viewing level, glass floors, theater, gift shop, 2 different restaurants and the tummy churning sky pod.
The lines were too horridly long but one does have to be patient. I think one of the most humbling experiences was listening to the different languages there. SO many folks from around the world, yet all their excitement, regardless of the language base, sounded very similar. We ate at one of the restaurants at the top of the tower. Not terribly frugal but quite the site, being able to dine and see the city was something I won't soon forget. This is one of my favourite views from a porthole window at the tippytop of the skypod.
I took my kids, in spirit, to two different places. For the older, I went to the Hockey Hall of Fame. It was pretty impressive to see, but I have to admit, it would have been far far better seeing it through his eyes. They have done a wonderful job setting up the different displays and have a great mix of audio, visual, theater, interactive, plus all the trophies. The gift shop was slighly biased. There was a lot of different items from the teams but the slant definitely was towards the Leafs and the Habs. There ARE three more teams in Canada :-) plus all the US ones.
For my other child, I hit the ROM (Royal Ontario Museum). It has everything a wonderfully geeky kid would want to see. Rocks and gems, dinosaurs and bats, and even an Egyptian mummy. The Dead Sea Scrolls were there but there wasn't time to go in to see them. I did get to see a bit of The Book of the Dead. I can see it would be a place I'd love to visit in chunks over a period of time were I to live there. Almost too much to take in at once and do a good job of it.
We walked a bit down Bloor Street, which houses the 'fancy' shops, like Chanel, Hermes, Gucci, Tiffani, Sephora etc. Apparently there are supposed to be stars that shop here but if I passed one, I did not notice. Far far too rich for my blood. I felt even too peasant class to go near the door. lol
We saw lots of different parts of the city and ate wayyyy too much food and drank way too much ............'liquid'. I have to say, I don't know how you big city folk do it. Tempting drinks and treats at every twist and turn. I gained about 5 lbs but being bigger, I gain fast (and lose slow). I tried a few things I'd not had before, but I am far from an adventurous eater.
It makes me want to go and travel more and see more of the world.......heck even more of Canada. I am wayy too much of a homebody and rarely go far at all. Now if only I had the $$ to support what I can see would be an expensive habit.


3 comments:
Sounds like you did it all!
Makes me want to go places too!
hahaha, i love this part: "I took my kids, in spirit, to two different places."
RTC - makes me want to go places too.
Ms Money - It killed me to be where they would want to be, without them. I called them each when I was in 'their' building with my usual subdued "OMG OMG You should see the......!!!!!"
Post a Comment