I admit I was skeptical as I set off on my journey. There is this stigma often attached to big city folk that it is a dog eat dog world out on the streets....an 'only for myself' mentality.
I have to say that 99% of the folks we encountered from Toronto were incredibly friendly and helpful. Anywhere we went, if we were lost and needing direction, it was easy to ask folks for direction. What was even easier was the wealth of folk looking at us "poor tourists" and coming over asking if we needed help finding something or somewhere. I really was impressed and surprised by this. From suggestions on which way to go to a place, to tips on taking the Rocket, which restaurants or cafes to try out or safe shortcuts. We had a lot of 'I'm going the same way..get off at the stop I do". We even had one couple who helped us get off at the right stop for the Roger's Center stumble across us later and ask if we'd found all the things we needed and make suggestions for a few other things to see.
Despite the feel like the crowds of people were on high speed and only interested in their own destination, it was reassuring to know folks WERE approachable.
The two downers were: the security guard at the Eaton's Center who said it was NOT possible to get from A to B, when we were told it was and later found out it was. *grumbles ...sending us out in a torrential downpour*. The second downer would have to be the ticket staff at the ROM (Royal Ontario Museum). We had prepurchased 'fast track' tickets from our hotel to avoid line ups. When we got there, we were 25 minutes in the 'fast line', while the counter folk argued over which line we should be in and who should take care of us. They then decided it was Mikey's job. Mikey, it would seem, was having a long visit to the restroom and was incredibly grumpy when he returned eventually to his station.
All in all I was pleasantly surprised by the overall nature of the general folk on the street. Sure helped a great deal for this little lost prairie girl, trying to get IN to her map to see which way to go :-)
Tuesday, Nice weekend!
1 day ago
3 comments:
It sounds like you had a pretty good time, and have some stories to boot!
if possible, I always try to use the PATH to avoid the rain or snow. it's a good thing you left when you did... it's UNBEARABLY hot and humid right now. Yuck!
We did explore the Path and it came in handy from our hotel. I could barely stand the humidity last week so if it's worse this week, it's good I am not there :P
Post a Comment