I know some of you budget with envelopes...some with jars...others do cash only without specific categories while others handle things solely online. Whatever works for you.
My question is......at the end of the month, if you have money left over in general, or in a specific category, what do you do with it?
Do you...
a) set it aside for that budget line as extra for next month?
b) put it in a savings account?
c) snowball it towards debt?
d) emergency fund?
e) other?
I'm mostly just curious. Still developing my system and I am sure I will need at least 6 months to see if what I've decided to do is still feasible.
Tuesday, Nice weekend!
1 day ago
8 comments:
I use it to cover the other deficits in other categories where I've gone over budget, then I put the remainder back into savings/emergency fund/retirement
Fabulously Broke in the City
"Just a girl trying to find a balance between being a Shopaholic and a Saver."
It depends on the category. Some categories are designed to have carry-over. For example, I budget an amount for car maintenance/repair each pay period, but we don't necessarily have car repairs every pay period (thank goodness!!) so it accumulates and I consider it planned spending.
If it is a category that is not cumulative (i.e. groceries) I put it in the snowflake account for things like family outings, vacations, sports tournies that we have to attend, etc.
money? what money? :) Doesn't seem to happen to me..
Most of my left over money goes towards my savings for law school. And, right now, some is going towards my account to stock up on supplies before law school, such as shampoo, cat food, etc. I don't think I'll have a lot of time to go to the store to buy the stuff.
Thank you everyone for a peek into how it works in your world. appreciate it.
ooooohhhh - good question... I am curious to see what others think! I normally just keep it in the envelope... if it gets to be a bigger amount (like over $100 I would take it & snowflake it)
I snowflake mine to my debt :)
If I'm over in other categories, I'll apply there first, then it's usually to my vacation funds...
Post a Comment