Pages

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Reflections on 2008

I am definitely one for reflection and sentimentality, particularly at the end of a year. 2008 was an interesting year for me...nothing monumental, but interesting nevertheless.

  • I signed up for WW and did VERY well for half the year, then gained it all back the rest because I did not STICK WITH IT.
  • I signed up for a circuit gym and was incredibly faithful for half a year, then let excuses pile up and not going often at all.
  • Husband's debt load increased as he bought a 'new to him' truck and had a vehicle loan for about $20,000. Thanks to his father's gift, that truck was paid off in full yesterday. If not for the gift, husband would have been paying on that for something like 50 plus months.
  • Husband's misuse of VISA once again brought him up over $4000 balance but that was cleared yesterday thanks to his father's gift. It will be interesting to see if he handles his 'extra' money now each month, now that he is debt free on that level. I doubt it. sad hey?
  • I manged to get my first emergency fund set up. $1000 baby. Let's hope I don't have to use it and can build it up instead.
  • I put a lot...a LOT on mr credit card this year. We did a huge amount of renos this year inside the house.

It was not a matter of 'hmm I don't like this carpet anymore'...or...'that paint colour is soooo passee'. It was more a matter of "the bathroom is literally falling apart and there is mold", "the carpet is worn beyond all help' etc. We ended up gutting the full bath, repairing the structure and putting in new walls, tub/shower, tub surround, vanity, toilet, ceramic tiles on floor etc. I can't begin to tell you how much I appreciate this bathroom.

We also gutted and redid the downstairs half bath. Same condition as the upstairs one. It's nice that the boys aren't embarrassed when their friends come over and have to go. The living room needed one wall replaced, we tore out the carpet and replaced it with laminate flooring and I bought the first new furniture we've had in 17 years.

The costs definitely added up. Part of it is the bank of mom loan. The rest went on my mastercard. A bit of that was paid off with my tax return. The hefty balance quickly was turned into a consolidation loan to clear off the Mastercard. The loan was combined with a pre-existing loan.

Beyond that, there were no fancy trips this year. There were no fancy gifts (at least for the adults).

Starting the blog in July was a good move for me. Reading OTHER blogs, was an even better move. I have gained so much information from other blogs; great ideas; other viewpoints on things.

2008 was a self, home and financial reno year.

2009 will be the year to finish things off and learn how to be ME.

1 comment:

jpkittie said...

good for you - I look forward to following more of your journey in 2009 :)