I do love my change jar.
Actually I have two of them. One is a piggy that used to sing when you put coins in. The toonies and loonies live in them. They other is a carafe of some sort. No clue where I got that from. All the other change lives in there.
I love putting my spending change in the jar and then counting it up at the end of the year. I still do it old school - hand roll and take into the bank. Love doing it that way.
For 6 months this year the change went towards the back to school planned spending. It seemed like an innocent and non threatening way to build up to that $500. After that, I put the jar money towards my 2018 TFSA, since I didn't make that goal this year.
Here are my ghosts of change jars past:
2012 -$549.50
2013 - $980
2014 - $512
2015 - $642
2016 - $825
Each year I think, hmmm I don't have that much. Especially when there are $0 months. then I do a tally and surprise myself.
January - $100
February - $90
March - $0
April - $0
May - $100
June - $100
July - $50
August - $100
September - $100
October - $100
November - $100
December - $100
Actually this is spookily similar to last year's. Interesting.
For a grand total of $940
Not my highest ever but definitely up there.
I do recognize that if I spent less there would be less opportunity for change :-)
I plan to keep the same targets for next year - First $500 for Back to School and then TFSA.
If I were to have $100 per month (which I never do, then I would have a surplus of $100 to do go a third goal. We shall see.
Thank you change rolling for all those fun little memories.
Tuesday, Nice weekend!
1 day ago
2 comments:
I love rolling by hand, but our bank no longer takes it that way. We have a jungle tin that we keep change in. Ours is not full enough to take even yearly, so we go every couple of years.
I have wonderful memories of rolling change growing up - my grandmother was a breakfast waitress, so she always had lots of change. She is the one that taught me to always look for money, and I still find it all the time.
I've got a couple of places for change. It took me a little while to understand that the little plastic bags I get from the bank is for WEIGHING the coins (!). Each coin has to be in a separate bag, but they can add up to certain amounts, so if you have 2 x .50p and the rest of the £10 requirement is all .20p, then the scale will somehow show that. I still think it's inefficient and time-consuming, but there's no hiding dimes or nickels in a quarter roller that way. I'm doing okay with it, but think I will start keeping track. I've just started keeping £5's as well. :) But I agree, to have more, I'd need to spend more! xx
Post a Comment