Pages

Saturday, June 17, 2017

Modifying summer plans

Two more weeks until school is done. Both the students AND myself are ready for a break.

My usual plan (since I started planning for summer spending) is to set aside $1000 for the odds and ends of summer fun, plus the August long weekend with my family.

This summer seems to be taking a different path and it looks as though the traditional August long won't be happening.

DS2's park ranger job has him working every weekend all summer. He gets Monday and Tuesday off instead. So he won't be able to make it.

DS1's gf has a family reunion that weekend so they will be spending it with her side of the family.

DH's brother decided to help organize a family reunion on his mother's side. I know zero of these people and they weren't exactly the warm and fuzzy type so this should be interesting.

The reunion of course is August long so that means that we will not be going to our traditional long weekend.

I am bitter sweet about this. It's the only weekend all of my sisters and their families get together and I suspect this time may be at 'the end of an era'. It's a weekend full of lots of fishing and beach time and campfires and I am sad we won't be  a part of it.

On the flip side, the weekend is costly. Three tanks of gas, the cabin rental (super pricy for around here), groceries, beverages etc. It all adds up fast and that's where the bulk of my summer money went.

The reunion is a short drive 30 min drive from here. If DH wants to tent overnight so he can visit late, we can always take separate vehicles so I can come home when my exhaustion hits. The money for this is negligible so its less expensive option.

As such, I have set aside only $500 instead of the usual $1000 for summer.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

summer weekends are expensive. We tend to go out and have fun. Then there will be more expenses will come along the way. But, just enjoy the summer. It is not going to last longer.

slugmama said...

Family life gets more complicated once the kids are teens and older. You just have to go with it and make new opportunities for family fun.

Jane said...

I'm sorry your plans have changed for the long weekend. It's always sad to come to the end of an era. That has happened in my family too and many new traditions have had to be formed. It's just not the same though.