You can definitely tell I am from a small town because the costs related to the size of the city and the transportation were a steep learning curve.
Most of my pics are personal ones and DS doesn't wish those on here so I will stick to generic.
The biggest costs for the journey was the airfare. $1800 for the two of us plus the costs associated with it. Driving to and from airport here at home $70. Parking at airport $75. Luggage fees $120. The bonus of having colitis is that you can't eat while travelling (at least I can't) so there were no drinks or snacks or meals during all those airport ways and layovers.
One of the next biggest costs was obviously the hotel. We stayed near the airport the first night as there were no rooms in downtown C that were less than $500 US. The team and one of the moms, who works for a hotel, was able to negotiate some pretty decent group rates. We spent one night near the airport and four right on the waterfront downtown at the hotel where the families stayed. We were about 6 blocks from the team hotel so not a bad walk at all, even in the wind. If we had had to pay the regular price for the downtown hotel it would have come to just under $2000 CAD. We paid much much much less than that.
The hotel was a modern design one. Lots of black and white and glass. This was our room. It faced a city view, which, for a small town girl, was fascinating.
This was the view from the windows by the elevator just across from our room. You can see it's on the other side and right on Lake Michigan with an upclose look at one of the beaches and the Navy Pier.
Transportation was big. Except for walking to see the boys, to the Pier, or to the restaurants close by. everything was cab. Cab from the airport hotel to the downtown hotel was 55 minutes long in what the cab driver said was medium traffic. The same journey the day before was 95 minutes during rush hour and rain, according to the very nice driver. We could have taken the train but honestly DH was super nervous about it and our time lines were tight. Getting lost could mean missing time with the boys. One family did get lost. I hate it when DH is validated LOL. Cabs to the hockey arena, cabs to the meeting place before the game. Cabs to the Aquarium. Lots of the parents Ubered. When you don't have wifi in another country, wifi isn't a possibility.
Shopping could have been an expense, but we didn't shop. I don't have a body that enjoys shopping and I don't have a bank account to support it. That was a painless decision.
Food was another expense, even though I could only eat in certain windows to allow for...............safe long cab rides to destinations. We did two nice breakfasts, both within walking distance of the hotel.
Yolk was about four blocks away and super busy. We had to wait about 20 minutes. Really good food and lots of it. We were lucky to have a big window view point to people watch.
One of our afternoons/evenings was spent at the Navy Pier. The boys did autographs there and there was an awards presentation. There are lots of shops and restaurants along the way. During our downtime we walked there and people/ship watched. DH was super excited about a Bubba Gump's restaurant. He loves seafood. Me...not so much. We waited there 30 min for a table in the very noisy restaurant. He was in heaven. I had a drink, some fish and chips and the best key lime pie I have ever had.
We spent $70 US going to the aquarium for admission. It was alright but crazy busy with kids everywhere. DH really enjoyed it but I found the one I saw in New Orleans so much better.
Aside from a couple T shirts for hockey and drinks with the parents that was the extent of the money expenditure.
A lot of money? yes. Pretty sure people go to Mexico for less at all inclusives. I guess this was my Mexico. Definitely a chance of a lifetime to experience it.
Now back to our regular programming of life.





3 comments:
So glad you had fun while away. Total splurge, but your definitely worth it!
But...Chicago!! What a fantastic time in a fantastic city! So glad you decided to go. xx
I am so glad you had such a good time. I have visited Chicago back in 2010 in the summer and loved it. I had rented a bike for a couple of hours and imagined how wonderful it would be to be young student in Chicago.
Post a Comment