Pages

Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Holy Medical Bills Batman

I remember when I was getting ready to pay DS1's first semester tuition and fees last August.

I remember being overwhelmed by all the different fees.

I remember being more than a little OMG at the required health insurance fees of $1050 US per semester.

Soooo different than our world up here in Canada.


Well I am seeing it in a different light now.

DS got hurt in February during a game.  Ended up missing the rest of the season from the injury unfortunately.  He got one xray and one MRI.

The bill came yesterday. Just under $4000 US

I about died. Up here, we'd wait for a while before getting the procedure done but the cost would be covered.

I can now see why having good health care coverage in the US is such a critical thing. I can't imagine what folks do who aren't able to get it.

5 comments:

Jane said...

I'm soooooooo thankful to have health care provided - I can't imagine the worries so many people have in the States. I often read about how one serious illness can put a family into financial ruin.

~Carla~ said...

OUCH!!! :( Brutal...

Nd.chic said...

I'm just catching up with a few things. First of all, I hope you're feeling better. Your mortgage is getting so close!!
Regarding the health insurance, I'm used to our system. To be told that I have to pay for everyone else's health insurance through high taxes would really make me angry. When I saw how much was taken out of your check awhile back, I was in complete shock. I would rather take care of myself and my family than pay high taxes.

Jolie said...

That is the beauty of making such great blogging friends....you get different viewpoints and you can see things from other perspectives.

I am honestly not sure how much, out of my taxes paid each cheque goes to health care. something worth exploring to know :-)

The Asian Pear said...

OUCH! At least he's okay though. Although, you might want to look into registering DS1 for health insurance while he's abroad then.