Well today is the day I was supposed to head back to work. Home still for a few more days.
I realized I had forgotten to mention the raise we got. We have been without contract for 2 years and earlier this year it was settled. No vote by the members. Just settled.
Anyways, at the end of March we got our first cheque that reflected our raise over the past 2 years. I net approximately $100 more a month. For the teacher next door to me, the raise bumped her into the next tax bracket and she now makes $70 LESS a month than she did before the raise.
We ended up getting less than 2% for each year. Annual cost of living in our province is 1.2%
I will put this extra $100 towards the future college costs of DS2. I will obviously have to tweak the budget for the fall to accommodate two of them in college, but for now, I am just sending the 'raise' that way, and continue on with the rest of the budget as it is now.
We get our back pay at the end of April. I have no real clue what it will come to and how much will be left after taxes.
Tuesday, Nice weekend!
1 day ago
6 comments:
good news. They were able to find a sub for me for Thurs and Fri so I have one more full week left to try to get as healthy as possible.
I thought I was up for things yesterday when I was at the school prepping. Then I realized that I have about 30 seconds from 'stimulus to response' and my classroom is 45 seconds away from the closest washroom. Trust me, that 15 seconds is the difference between safety and humiliation. So my hope this week is that my s t r time increases.
Still killing me that I can't walk in this great weather.
I don't understand how it's possible that your neighbor's take home pay is less...it's just not how tax brackets work.
Only the amount over the bracket is taxed at the higher rate, not a person's entire wage.
Is it possible that things changed in other ways on her pay? Perhaps increased costs of benefit premiums? or a change in other deductions?
not sure Jessie. She is lower on the 'steps' than I am, and she has only 1 degree, so her base wage is different than mine. Beyond that we have all the same categories of deductions. I would have loved to see her pay stub pre and post raise to compare but she didn't volunteer, and I didn't ask :-)
Damn those tax brackets!! I'm in a much lower one now that I've retired. I guess that's a good thing?
Take care of yourself - glad you could get some more time off, sounds like you need it.
Tax brackets don't work that way so there must have been a different reason for a smaller pay check. Only the new money would be taxed at a higher rate you don't get double taxed.
must be another one of her deductions then. EI, CPP or pension.
Thanks all
Post a Comment