A couple years ago, reading The Happiness Project was on my to do list. It was on the side of the list that never got done for the longest time. This summer I borrowed it from the library and started to read through it. While I am late to the game on reading this, I thought I would share my thoughts.
Being truly happy in life is something I am struggling with lately and it bugs the heck out of me that I am not happier in the life I am living. I have a lot of great things going on in my world but this pervasive sadness just kept cloaking it. I didn't like that. We only have one life to live and except for those teenage years when you just can't wait to grow up, it flies by quicker than one can imagine.
One of the quotes from the book is "the days are long but the years are short" and that line resonated within me. There is a lot of time during the day and I really do not use it to it's fullest potential. I need to do a better job of that. Those few minutes here and there where I waste time could be use to get a few of the little things off my list that nag and nag at my brain, creating Titanic sized guilt.
The part of the book that resonated the deepest with me was the decluttering. One of January's goals I believe. She started by just..............starting. I think that is one of the biggest hurdles. Just. Starting. I love love loved reading about her rush as she made it through her closet, and then went through it again. I could totally relate. There is just an amazing psychological effect when you clean and sort and get organizational control in your life....or one part of one room in your life. I wish my family would catch on to this feeling, but so far it is me against three mountains, unless I force the mountains to help.
What kept resonating in me as I read the book was how finding peace and contentment in your own life really impacts your health and mental well being, as well as how others see you.
I had a rough year last year and I am working very hard to have a more positive year this year in all corners of my life.
2 comments:
My daughters teacher in grade three read this over the summer. He is using itas a teaching tool with the kids. I should read it too..thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Staying organized and decluttering works wonders for me. I've actually got physically sick when my house was turned upside down. I have that book and may just pull it out to read it again.
Better days ahead for you for sure!!
Post a Comment