Pages

Monday, September 6, 2010

Labour Day Monday

There's a slow, steady rain outside while I curl up in the quiet house in jammies, with a cup of coffee. It's rained most of the night. Rather typical weather for SK's labour day long weekend. This extra day off is like sneaking one more thin slice of cheesecake after the company has gone.

It's been a busy one. DS1 has been playing hockey; a camp one more level up in the Junior A level. He did well. Not outstanding. But well. He made two cuts and now gets to travel with the team for the annual labour day rookie game against a community about 2.5 hours from here. The travel time for hockey is what kills you. Load the bus at 2 to get there by 5 to warm up, to play at 7:30, to drive back home and arrive just before midnight. With his reg team this year as well as this team, it's definitely not allowed to ride the team bus. Ah where did those days go when I used to have to go in the dressing room and get him ready, one layer of equipment at a time.

Since his father's off work this week on holidays, he's going to drive down and I will stay at home with DS2. DS2 couldn't give a rat's *ss about hockey so we try not to make him go more than we have to LOL

DS2 is getting ready for his investiture with Service Scouters. We got the call with the info yesterday and we go in to the city next weekend. DS1 plays hockey in the same city then too so we will divide and conquer and make sure there is family at both events to celebrate their successes.

and moi? well I did a mess of  cleaning and laundry this weekend between runs with the children. DS1 had a report on the Hound of the Baskervilles (a report in the first week of school!! LOL)  I actually have never read it so I blissfully could not offer much advice beyond making sure he sticks to the criteria of the assignment and ensuring he wrote a powerful opener. DS2 has been avoiding eye contact when I ask about homework so I'll have to tackle him this morning when he gets up and crack the motherly whip. Nothing worse than homework that is 'suddenly due' at the last moment on a weekend.

I also began the process of setting my mother up on face book. Mom is almost 70 and while they have a computer, she doesn't even  know how to turn it on. She protests she's not smart enough to do it, but you dangle a few hollow threats about what great pics of her new great grandson are on there, and suddenly she's (reluctantly) willing to try.  Can't tell me she can make buns as light as air and a piecrust that melts into your mouth and yer not smart (her words) enough to log in online. mmmm homemade buns and pie. man my diet's gone to h*ll in a handbasket.

I will give DS2 the responsibility of biking over there every couple days and forcing her to log in and then she will see it's not that hard.

and what will I do? I will happily read some blogs I got behind on this week. Work really interferes with my blog reading :P  I will finish the bed linen laundry. I will shop for some groceries for the week. I will do some  of my school work, either here at home or I will go to the school.

and I will bake something. This is baking weather. something........................cinnamony and..........................pumpkiny. mmmmmmmm nothing like the smell of baking on a grey, rainy day.

4 comments:

its me, sam said...

Cinnamon rolls with cream cheese icing and pumpkin muffins! Now, I'm off to finish the laundry, and tidy the kitchen before I bake blueberry muffins and chocolate chip cookies or ranger cookies.

Jolie said...

ohhh now those sound great Sam. I have never been a good cinnamon roll maker so I'll slip over to your house to enjoy those :-)

its me, sam said...

I can't make cinnamon rolls, that's my sisters job! LOL I ended up making the muffins and granola with dried blueberries and cranberries. Plus I found a recipe for pumpkin cake roll.

The Asian Pear said...

sounds like you had a nice day. I think I spent Monday being lazy, catching up sleep and doing some blog reading as well.

so what did you end up baking?