Pages

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Opinions Requested

One of the sidebars reflects a savings (that I haven't started yet) towards a new laptop. The laptop I currently have is having it's third bday this week and is starting to show signs that it has less life left than more.

There is a program through my employer that would allow me to purchase a computer with my own money, get reimbursed through the employer, and then they take x $ off for the next 10 months or 20 months, depending on how long I wish to stretch it out. It's great because it is interest free and then only a smaller amount comes off each cheque. This window is only open in September and October.

I currently have a Toshiba which, aside from where the powercord attaches, has been very good.

My options are to
a) Save $1000 ish dollars and when I have the money, and this one goes kaput, buy a new one.
b) Purchase now through employer in preparation for 'the end ' of this one
c) Hope to heck this one lasts and buy through employer NEXT Sept/Oct
d) Save up $ now and if I need to buy one during the year, I have some cash and will figure out how to pay for the rest.

thoughts?

8 comments:

jpkittie said...

I would say - save the $ & buy when you have it?

Jessie said...

I agree with jpkittie - save the money and buy when you have the funds available.

Anonymous said...

I third that idea! :)

The Asian Pear said...

I'd save now and buy later.

BUT, I would be very careful and start backing up things more frequently on burned DVDs, USB sticks, etc.

Jolie said...

Thanks Everyone. That is what I am going to do. Appreciate the input.

Canadian Saver said...

This is what I've done... My laptop is going to be 5 years old in November... YIKES! it's slower but still runs pretty good. But I've saved money for when it breaks down, and I won't use it before then.

Good luck!

Girl Makes Cents said...

How do you make those sidebars to track progress??

I also bought a new toshiba laptop after my 5 year old nearly died. It takes some time to get used to vista!!

Jolie said...

Girl Makes Sense - I actually had help making the sidebars from a now defunct blogger friend. I know NOTHING about code lol. She emailed me hers and then I tinkered with it to do mine.

If you are interested, I can send you those instructions in an email.

Write me at joliereves at yahoo dot com and put sidebars in the topic, so I know it is from you.