As I was driving DS2 to a birthday party Friday night in the new vehicle, we're ooing and awing over things it had that my 2000 van did not have. Then he says "Now I won't be embarrassed to drive around". He's 12. I honestly was floored.
Now there was nothing horridly awful about my old van. It did not have giant rust spots, nor dents. It did not belch smoke or make odd noises. It was just needing between $500 and$1000 in repairs a year and it was time to cut the strings because the van wasn't worth much more than that at a dealer.
This is the same son who has asked why he doesnt have a cell phone when all his classmates do. Why t heir houses are giant and ours isn't. Why they get to go to hawaii or mexico every year and we don't.
I am sure I perpetuated a big part of this with my own whining, which I've worked really hard on deleting. We had a big talk about money and debt and credit cards after he came home from the party. I am not sure if I got through to him, but it certainly was an eyeopener for me.
Our children really DO listen. One must be careful what one incidentally teaches them.
Tuesday, Nice weekend!
1 day ago
4 comments:
I think kids pick up on things more than we think they do at times. From personal experience, I was always aware of my parents' debt. At age 12, I decided not to even ask about school trips to help save money and whatnot. You'd be suprised what kids hear and how it affects them.
oh boy - I am so not looking forward to dd asking stuff like that --- but I am so happy that you were honest with him about things though - maybe, just maybe, he may open his eyes a bit :) Good luck with that!
Wow - thanks for sharing that. I don't have kids yet - but I sure am picking up that they take in most of what we say - whether directly or in-directly.
So, how else do you teach your kids about money. Do they have an allowance? Do they have to save snowflakes for anything?
My children get an allowance of $10 per week which is not tied to chores. I have one who is a saver and one who is a bit of a spender so we are working on saving that. The spender does have to save $20 per month towards his cell phone so that is a start for us.
Post a Comment