Pages

Thursday, August 14, 2008

the beginning of back to school

Today is Teacher Appreciation Day at Staples! Actually there is one next Thursday too but I'll go today. Now from what I hear in some bigger centers, this is a pretty fancy event. There's coffee and juice, muffins and donuts and a lovely gift bag. I went last year here to our sort of new Staples outlet and the smell of freshly brewed java was conspicuously absent. No scent of yeasty creamy filled cellulite WITH icing in the air. My treat bag was tiny: a highlighter, some stickers and some coupons for further visits, some other little thing which escapes my memory at the moment, and an easy button. I was going to give that bag to my intern (student teacher) along with a few other treats as a welcome to the school for 4 months, but that seemed insufficient. I ended up hitting the dollar store to find some great things: paperclips, highlighters, teacher pencils, notepads, thingies to hold her stuff on her desk...but I digress.

I wanted that easy button. I coveted that easy button. I didn't have one. I always wanted one. In the end I exchanged her easy button for a lil floral bouquet for her desk which probably cost more than the button. Sometime I am so silly.

So off I go today to see what things are in there. There is high doubts there will be any coffee or pastry but go I shall. I also get 10% off on any purchases I make. Will I get the boys' school supplies there? Probably not as they are more expensive there at 10% than Walmart at it's regular price. But I shall go and pick up new ink for my home printer which you can't get at Walmart, maybe a few other little things (I'll have to check the flyer) and get my treat bag and my 10% off.

I may be almost 40 but the August display of school supplies does something to me. I get antsy and my eyes glaze over. New pens and notebooks! New fresh crisp looseleaf. New sticky note thingies. A giant rainbow pack of coloured sharpies!!! *drool* and this is for me, not my kids LOL

I spent probably $1000 a year out of my own pocket on my classroom. Some consumables, some books and decorations...some were good choices, some were not.

Any deal I get is great!!

Well off I go to brush my teeth and get out of my jammies to be there when the stores are open. After all, free gift bag supplies are limited LOL

No comments: