Pages

Saturday, January 16, 2021

Adventures of the first two weeks of 2021

 Back to work started briskly on January 4th as our school continued with half the students one day, half the next. It took a couple days to get used to wearing a mask again all day, but it did come back. The kids took a bit of brain jiggling to get things back for them, which is quite understandable.


The weather has been incredible for January in SK. Just a teeny bit below 0C. We definitely cannot complain about that. When the -40Cs come along, as they eventually will, it will be a tough adjustment.

Friday the 8th we got an email of our first covid case of 2021 at school. It was to be expected when people don't take things even with a modicum of seriousness. By Saturday we had a second and then a third.

Sunday afternoon I got  THE call from provincial health saying I had been deemed a close contact to a positive case. Not from my own class, but within the building. 

And so begins 14 days of self isolation... minus the 2 since I had last saw the person.

I spent hours Sunday night finding a sub for 2 weeks and planning for the first few days. Thank goodness I had brought my computer home. At least I could access some of my materials.

My husband was allowed to go to work. We could have no one over (which technically has been the rule since Dec 15th in our province). They encouraged us to be as separate in the home as possible. Different sleeping arrangements, bathrooms etc.  I did not have to go for a test unless symptoms developed.

I rather enjoyed Monday at home. I had a few emails from students and parents, but other than that, my time was my own. 

Tuesday morning was wonderfully leisurely until the virtual staff meeting that announced there were more cases and all students in our building would be virtual for the next couple weeks.

And with that my sub was abruptly done her shift, 8 days early, and I began to teach online from home.

Some schools have been doing this since the start of the year, so I really can't complain.

A huge storm in our province Wed covered the roads with thick freezing rain and no visibility, so being at home was a good thing for many.

6 more days of isolation for me and then off to the city on the 7th for my infusion that had to get bumped to the absolute edge of the window.


Here's hoping the numbers from Christmas calm down and we can get back to in person soon

3 comments:

Hawaii Planner said...

My kids have been remote only since last March, & it's terrible. Although I completely understand why it has to be like this, it's miserable.

Here's hoping you all stay well, & are able to get back to in person instruction soon!

SAM said...

Most of our schools for grades 2 and under, and some grade 4 an dunder, are going back to hybrid or full in-person this week or next. I hope it goes well. Middle and highschool will stay distance, and they'll see what MArch looks like and the vaccine roll out. I wish you well as you keep adjusting.

Jolie said...

HP that's such a long time to be doing this, though I, too. understand. I hope we can re-find normal again.

Sam - We have all been in person in our community since fall, with the exception of my school this month. The odd time a class will go virtual for their 14 days when there is a case.

I know how lucky we are to be able to do this and hopefully it will be safe enough for folks to all do this again, soon.