While it may seem rather morbid for our Family Day stat holiday, I seem to be gathering document numbers today for the 'If I die" envelope.
It all started out from cleaning 'the bill corner'. I know, I know..nothing good comes from cleaning :-)
DH never files his stuff. He has paid utility bills sitting there since last summer. I gave him a spot to put the paid things we need to hang onto but he never seems to put them there.
Having separate finances, there are quite a few things we each should have the document numbers for. We never seem to do this as DH gets quite testy when we speak of such things.
Anyways, as I was sorting today I just started jotting the numbers down, for..... in case. RRSP account numbers, TFSA numbers...things like that. I put the list of his info in an envelope I have in case something happens to him. I also made a list for him of mine. I told him where I put his list of my numbers and got a "yeah whatever", so I also emailed both lists to my sister as a back up source.
I know, most couples have done this ages ago. Or they share finances already. Or they have money conversations. We aren't that couple. It didn't bother me (IE - seemed like the best choice) for years but now, with me paying all of DS's college costs, money things are.....bugging me.
If nothing else I can be your 'don't girl' role model.
Tuesday, Nice weekend!
1 day ago
2 comments:
I had a bad "joint" account experience so I would never do that again. It works for some people but not for others. But yes you do need to know what each other has in case of...
Sorry hubs is not as cooperative as he could be.
We are separate finances here too, and get very "testy" when numbers need to be shared. These men sound related.
I'm thinking about some sort of safety deposit box with all numbers and passwords. I don't know how it would stay 100% current but would be better than what we have now. There is nothing creepier than facebook suggesting you be friends with someone whose funeral you went too months ago.
But the money side of things will be like an episode of the pink panther to try and find numbers and keep a handle on accounts if(when) one of us dies.
I'm Dreading income taxes for the 4 of us! Thank goodness the 8 year old is unemployed. :)
Post a Comment