Pages

Friday, April 18, 2014

Credit Card Compromised

It was not a great day yesterday. We had a really bad morning, but more on that later. Fast forward to evening.

DS1 comes up to say something weird is on his credit card statement. I look and wince. Oh boy! Charges that weren't his.

sigh

They were interesting charges to say the least. 3 were  to a  consumer reports in the US. I am not even sure what that is.

One was to a college in Guelph, Ontario, online for  $285.00. That has got to be a registration fee or something like that. I wonder if I called there and asked what fee they have online that is exactly that number, if they would share that information?

Two were very odd. A refund in Euros for something that cost $574 followed by a purchase later that day for $600+ from that same company.

We called the CC number right away. DS had no clue what to say but I prompted him through it.   They have put a block on it and I am not sure what happens from there. Do you ever find out who/where it was compromised?

He has only used it about 8 times in the past 8 months he has had it and it is always paid off in full. I wanted him to practice using it and doing that for a year before he went off to the US.

I am wondering if I need to call Equifax and learn how to pull his credit report and make sure the corruption went no deeper. 

Can anyone in Canada step me through how that 'one free a year' credit report check works?  Do they do it over the phone? Do we have to wait for the report to come in the mail? 

I confess that I have never done one on my own. I did see what the bank sees when they check, when I applied for my LOC a few years ago.

4 comments:

Auntie April said...

To get the free credit report check, you have to fill in a form, and a photocopy of your ID (driver's licence and health card) and mail it to them. Here is the form: http://www.equifax.com/ecm/canada/EFXCreditReportRequestForm.pdf

They will send you your report in the mail with instructions on how to fix something incorrect.

Anonymous said...

My credit card has been compromised a few times. I just called the cc company and they reversed the charges. They don't disclose any other information though.

Unknown said...

you can get your credit report instantly (for a fee) online at the equifax and transunion websites.

Northern Living Allowance said...

Spooky! Sorry to hear this happened to him. I had mine compromised recently, too. Imagine my surprise when, sitting here in England for the past (almost) 6 months, someone in San Diego tried to buy auto paint with it - to the tune of $5247! I am glad of several things in this case: a) my limit isn't that high, b) I still owe on it, and c) the CC company was right on it and made me aware of it. Card cancelled, new card & PIN on the way. The only activity on it the past few months are payments by me, so something was definitely fishy.

I had to giggle a bit, however, as I wondered what the person on the other end was saying when the card was declined, 'Oh, I guess the payment hasn't gone through yet' or something. Too bad for him that I'm slow at paying my CC bills.

Hope things work out okay for your son!! x