I think I am hitting winter burnout. Everything feels like it is whirly and congested and out of control. I know this too shall pass, but I need to take steps to get control of the feelings.
I spent five hours at the school this morning/early afternoon. Report cards are coming up and this is the week to make sure everyone has their stuff in. There was a lot of sorting and piles and lists going up so students know which assignments to look for or complete. I look around my room and see SO much stuff. That comes with over a decade of teaching 11 subjects to a group of students. Binders and bins and tubs everywhere. When I am finally relocated to a new position, I am hoping that I will have fewer subjects to prepare for and I can give away a lot of things. Still, the shelves were crying out to me so I gave myself an hour to go through a few shelves and bins. If I hadn't used it in over 5 years it either went in recycle or free to a good home pile. If I end up needing things later, I will know where to find them. No one looking in my room would notice anything 'less' in there, but "I" know. I will have to do this many times over once things in my future are more finalized. The hour spent went a long way to easing my mental stress about how much there is to do in there.
I came home to a house of mess and crap. Really? 2 PM and no one did up the dinner dishes or had started on any chores? Laundry everywhere, dishes, clutter, clutter clutter. Everyone was just sitting around doing squat. Right now I think I am the only one doing anything around here. That isn't always the case, but a quick mental look back and aside from some snow shovelling, I think it's all been on me. That needs to change. I will go bat crap crazy if all the members of the household aren't contributing to the maintenance.
I spent the afternoon/early evening sorting and tidying and tossing. 2 bags of clothes ready to go for the Diabetes association who comes this week. I sent DS1 to the recycling with a ton of newspapers and boxes and such. DS2 sorted the bottles and cans and has them ready in bags for when we get a moment to take them to the depot. I got my $ ready for jars for the week and have my deposit ready for the bank tomorrow (if I can get there) to make another payment on my LOC. I updated my budget spreadsheet and made the boys put their clean laundry away and get at the new laundry.
I am a firm believer that clutter = stress, at least in my world. Looking at my upcoming schedule, I need to sit less and move more and get things done. Or I can go bat crap crazy. :-)
Tuesday, Nice weekend!
2 days ago
5 comments:
Sounds like a tough day all around. I'm sorry you worked so hard only to come home to find more work waiting for you. I hope that the rest of the week is better. Take good care of yourself! And no others are thinking of you. :)
I understand that feeling. To me clutter and mess makes me cranky. I can have stuff, in fact I have way too much stuff, but it needs to be picked up and orderly. I hate coming home from work to a mess like that and have had it happen many times when all the kids lived at home. It was always a "ghost" that made the mess because according to them none of them ever did it. (insert eye roll here ;) ) You go girl and get those folks moving. I hate to see anyone have to go bat crap crazy, lol. :) Think spring. :)
I'm feeling burnt out too. What's getting me is the working all day, come home to do everything ( single parent issue I suppose) and then I have to sit down to two or three more hours of report card writing. I'm exhausted and don't feel like I'm giving anyone my best - family or students. My big goal this summer is to declutter my bins. I have about a thousand Chapter books to get rid of or sort out...our break is to weeks away, and I can't wait.
Don't you have March Break now? You can spend it recouperating! I think most people get the blahs in February and March. Hopefully, with a little rest you'll be back to yourself.
PS - Get those boys to work to clean up the clutter!
I can certainly relate to this post! I've been tossing a bit in my classroom lately as I've had to make room for some new stuff. However it is hard to part with things as I think I might need it next year!
Post a Comment