Pages

Monday, December 28, 2009

How long do you keep....

Your statements...whether you get paper or email version?

Just tidying at year end and wondering?

I have a lovely bill box with categories of my dif utilities, my bank statements,  Credit Card statements etc.

What do you do???

9 comments:

Kim: said...

I tend to toss anything that's over a year..unless it's tax-related and then I keep it for pretty much ever!

Northern Living Allowance said...

That's a good question! I have about two years worth of stuff, but that's ONLY because I'm really lazy and haven't got around to cleaning out my filing cabinet yet.

But realistically? I would say 6 months. I don't believe there's a need to keep anything longer than that (apart from tax info).

The Asian Pear said...

I do not keep it if I know I can get it online.

But if I can't I try to keep for a year. Unless it's something that's not a monthly thing (like GST and whatnot), that's for 7 years.

D in Kansas said...

I file all my invoices throughout the year in our office desk drawer. At the end of the year, I move the files to a dated banker's box (and then to the basement) and create new files for the upcoming year.

Anonymous said...

Approximately a year, then we shred them. And like Kim, if it's tax related, then 7 years.

jpkittie said...

I was just wondering the same thing!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I just throw everything into a box at Year end and forget about it... I mark the box with the year, just in case.

Sharon said...

I just pulled off the instructions from the IRS. All tax related stuff for 3 years only...I thought it was 7. I was glad...

As far as utility bills, they can be tossed. I'm in the process of doing this myself...

Jolie said...

Wow thanks everyone!! I loved reading how everyone keeps track of their information.

I know I have all of my income tax files from when I first started filing.

I have paystubs (most of them) going back about 5 or 6 years.

Bank Records only go back to Juneish of 2008

I will keep my MC/VISA statements for now.

Utilities have been dutifully entered into my rudimentary database and shredded.