Good morning. This broadcast is coming to you live from my classroom where yes, I am once again at report cards. I got in a good 6 or 7 hours yesterday then went home. My brain was mush. I need to plow through things here today and get it all ready to go so that when we need to send them to the secretary to print tomorrow, I don't need 'a lil bit more time'.
There were five of us here yesterday working on marks. Some prefer to do it from home, but I have trouble making myself focus there. I have two hours til noon and a dozen more assignments in Guidance to mark and then I am off to the races inputting data into the system. The best part (I say this tongue in cheek) are the comments. For those parents out there whose children get comments on their report cards - and when I say comments I mean ones that are actually created by the teacher and not some code the system has that is totally depersonalize - the comments are the hardest part of all.
DH is going up north to pick up DS2. DS1 is at practice and practice they should as they lost last night. There looks to be sun out there. I hope I get to see some of it later.
toodles
Fitness Monday
13 hours ago
8 comments:
Yuck! Don't envy you at all. I will be doing mine probably in April, now that we have been bullied, I mean legislated, back to work. I'm going in over spring break to start looking at them.
We have grade connect at our schools and the teachers post every grade as they go along. I am sure this makes it harder(my son hates having to do it. But for us parents who monitor a kids grades and comments I thank you very much for all you do
50 minutes later - Guidance assignments marked. Holy wow that went fast.
Judy - my kids have that program at their school too. We may be on the list to get it next year. I think it will be a great idea.
Rose - that sounds ugly. we kinda sorta not really had the same thing happen here. negotiations such.
and back I go to input :-) wheeeee
I hear ya! I teach Kindergarten and report cards are the enemy. For 16 students (each report card is about 10 pages long) it took me about 40 hours. Comments are the worse - its like a mini novel for each student for each area!
Hope you get a good day with them in!
And people always complain when teachers ask for a raise?? How would they like to work all weekend unpaid?? I never thought of all of the time that goes into something as simple as report cards...yikes!
Good luck getting them all done! I think it would be easier to work on them at the school too, then your mind is on what you're doing!
I also teach kindergarten, have 22 students, and will spend at least 4hours on each report card - between reviewing their work, going through my daily notes, writing, editing, making sure my language is friendly and readable, not teacher jargon. I spend weekends, evenings and my holidays (I will go in two or three days this week of Spring Break to get started).
As a parent, I honestly spend *maybe* 5 minutes reading my kids' reports (grade 9 and grade 1). As teachers, we know that this system is not working - wouldn't it be better to touch base more often informally, than spend all this time writing novels?
thanks everyone. I have seen the lengthy report cards for younger grades and bow in respect for those who prepare those reports.
I am getting closer to being done and adding in DS2's laundry from his wet winter camp.
Post a Comment