sigh
So yesterday I stared at my almost 2 inches of roots and said to myself once again I needed to get my hair done. I have been dying my hair for about 3 years now and always go to the salon. It costs about $70 to get it all done. There might be a hair cut in there too. I'm honestly not sure. But it certainly is more than the fine folk who buy the box and take care of it on their own.
I haven't gone to the salon because honestly, I am a little gunshy about being trapped in a chair in a public place for an hour with my medical condition. I never know when I will NEED to go.
So there I found myself in Walmart staring at the rows of boxes, debating. Here were my issues:
- I don't know HOW to dye my hair. Would I do it right? would I get it evenly all over my hair
- I don't know what colour to pick to get the colour I want
I settle on 4RB dark reddish brown. I put it in my cart. I take it out. I put it back in. Lather rinse repeat.
So at home I manage to get dye splatters everywhere. Nice. I clean it all up and wait the time and rinse.
Dark reddish brown?
NOT even close.
My hair is almost black. Good lord, but I hate it. I suspect I will have to wait a few days before I try a lighter colour to see if that works any better. I am giving it one more chance for an at home and if I bomb, then I am biting the bullet and paying the $ again for the salon.
The kit was on sale for $9 (canadian) so $9.90 with tax.

15 comments:
Jolie!
The foam is the worst...I've tried it and it just doesn't work.
I would suggest going straight to the salon. They no how to fix the color. I tried to color my hair two times in a row and my hair got fried. Trust me. Go.to.the.salon.
:)!
I've been dying my hair at home since I was 16, and I've only truely messed it up once, the first time I dyed it, I ended up with jet black hair for my Senior year of high school. My mom told me I looked like Elvira, only without the boobs.
Anyway, here's how to fix your hair. Wash it with a little bit of Dawn dishwashing soap or dandruff shampoo. Either of those will strip out some of the excess color. Just make sure to condition afterwards if you use Dawn. Washing with a baking soda paste would probably also work.
I found a hair stylist through a groupon who does my hair for $60--I usually pay $80 for tip. but i get highlights, color, and a haircut! $70 just go get your hair colored sounds like a lot to me...
it is SO Hard to get it right just picking a box dye -- lessons I learned from grades nine through twelve =\ lol
I don't dye my hair anymore, but I might again when it starts to go grey.
I prefer the Jon Frieda home coloring kit. I use the reddish brown, and it comes out great.
I've been coloring my hair red at home since I was 15 - more than half my life now. Naturally, I'm a medium mousy brown. Bleh. I use Loreal Superior Preference #67 - Light Auburn & it darkens my hair. The pictures on the side of the box don't lie.
Washing your hair a few times with Dawn dishsoap will strip out the excess & lighten the color, but be warned - it'll also dry it out. Deep condition after. Good luck.
Dylan
Just be careful if you try and fix it yourself. You don't want to damage your hair, and then you end up paying twice as much at the salon.
Ive been dying my hair for the past few year (after seeing some grey and going to a salon and paying $180 for them to do it, I nearly keeled over with shock!). At the salon I went a little lighter and was horrified to come out a blond (I am so not a blond it kept freaking me out every time I looked in the mirror). So then I decided to do it at home and it works great. I use Garnier Nutrisse. I am generally red head so I went for a light golden brown and the color comes out a bit darker than my real hair but after a few washes it settles into a perfect color for me--not too dark, not too light. Good luck with you hair and give it a couple of more tries before you throw in the towel.
Thanks everyone. You are all so sweet. Everyone at work says it isn't horrible and it's a nice change so I think I will keep it, for now. How's that for needing the approval of others to believe in something LOL
I decided to keep it because I needed to learn a lesson. If someone had come around and just waved a wand and wiped out my debt, I would have learned SQUAT about money. By struggling through, I learned.
so I will 'struggle' through this, keep it for a bit and learn from it. It's not dried out (bonus) and it's even (bonus)
I did call around at noon today to see what prices are at other places and generally, mine is right in the middle. There are several that are WAY more and a small handful that are a bit less but not much, but unknown folk. I don't know if I want to switch salons at this point. Small town.
You are all great. thank you!!!
Aw, well, glad to hear there was a positive at the end of the story. My 14 year old has the most gorgeous strawberry blond, naturally highlighted hair. Every hairdresser has told her how lucky she is. So, ninth grader that she is, got tired of being called a "ginger" and died it brown.looks.....not so great, but we all have to learn these lessons on our own, lol.
Oh no!! If you use Head & Shoulders shampoo it'll strip some of the colour out! Wash your hair a couple times a day with it and use lots! It works, I swear!!
I don't mess with my hair, I keep it exactly as God made it. lol! No mistakes that way! haha!!
PS - Added you to my new blogroll.. just realized you weren't on there! Sorry!! :(
oh man! What a nightmare, i don't dye my hair with anything permeant in to sacred!
I always colour my own hair, maybe I was just lucky but the Clairol colour I picked was exactly what I wanted and gives me full grey coverage, and yes it is Nice and Easy.
It would break my heart to pay fancy salon prices for a colour....
I have very dark hair (black) and I have mine done...but I only get high-lights as of now. Good luck!
Post a Comment