Pages

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Little Steps




I am not sure how many of you out there have a good recycling program which pays. Granted we should be recycling on our own for the good of the environment, but our province charges an enviro fee which, if you take the empties back to the depot, you get most of it back.

My area is pretty good at being environmentally friendly and at using the depot. I noticed though when we had our guest from Quebec, that he, nor his classmates thought twice about throwing the empties into the trash. It makes me wonder whether if recyling is prevalent there, or if, their higher socio economic status, makes it 'not worth' the pittance for the money back.

It was busy there this morning at the depot but after a bit less than 30 min, I made it through the line. Net money - $20. Was it worth it? depends how you look at it. I will tuck that $20 away and put it towards a lump sum payment on my loan, which is a good thing.

I had no time rush so waiting wasn't a big deal. Would others wait? some yes, some no, to be honest.

It's only $20 but then again if I found $20 out of the blue, I would be happy....so I'll count it as a good thing.

Of course when one eats out later, it makes me realize the right hand doesn't always agree with what the left hand is doing. I will have to work on eating out and a grocery budget that will work after summer vacation is over and we're back to school.

No comments: