Pages

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

why I am liking my Credit Union

My primary accounts are with BMO. Have been since I was....probably 9. That is where the loan I just paid off, was.

My 'savings' bank is the Credit Union. I started that account several years ago when I realized I needed to start putting money aside each month for the boys' activities. It expanded to a plain jane savings account the following year.

Now, it's a busier bank for me.

The Savings holds the following target savings: EF, Xmas, Summer, RRSP

The Chequing is still for the boys' activities, but it's also where I transfer money into, to pay my vehicle loan each month.

I have to say, in terms of the paper statements that come each month, my CU rules. In particular I like the breakdown of the loans. At BMO there was just a line saying 'loan = $balance'. With the CU account, I get the breakdown of my last payment - principal and interest.  I love/hate seeing how much actually was sucked into the great banking system in the sky for interest. It's a motivator to get it paid off faster. It also has the number of payments left and how much the final one is. This is going to be a great little tool as I begin lump sum payments on this loan as I will see how much more principal/less interest is paid each month with the extra payments going in. ( instead of figuring it out by hand).  I will also get to see how many payments are left, without guestmating.

Do your banks give you break downs like that?? I do love that feature.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

For our banking it is mostly with BMO. I do like how our investments are broken out with investors group.

Today I woke up debt free.

regards,

Jason

Jolie said...

Thanks so much MM

Jason - congrats!!!