Pages

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Week 3 on the jars

Things have been going along swimmingly. The beauty of doing the jars over a period of weeks lets you see  that some weeks are just spendier than others. Sometimes you need to restock the home supplies like TP and some weeks you are surviving quite nicely on what is in stock.

Overall, I was able to save  27% of my jar money. Oddly until I just did the math, I didn't think it was that high as at least three of the jars showed that almost all the week's money was used. Interesting.

One thing I've realized today is that if I go to the ATM and withdraw week 3's money, there will be nothing left in the account. I operate on a zero based budget with all money targeted somewhere. Since I have leftover money in the jars that has accumulated over the three weeks, I think I will just withdraw the grocery money and operate off of what I have in the other jars. Then at the end of this week, with a new payday coming, I can safely take out the rest so the accuracy of the system remains constant.

I will have to work on saving little bits so can I keep an elevated 'zero' balance in there of say...$100  or $500 if I could. It would be nice to have a bit of a backup.

Happy Sunday everyone!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You do so well on the jar system; inspiring!

Is there any way you could send me 'jar mojo' over the ocean ;-)

Jolie said...

LOL I am hearing Austin Powers in my head as he channels his mojo. I am not sure why this time (as of jan 2009 really) the jars worked for me. Just was a right match for me and where I was at I guess. That and the fact that I could SEE the money in there and hated to watch it dwindle. Writing it down is even worse. Hate watching that number go down so low.