Pages

Saturday, April 24, 2010

$35!!

I know, in the picture of my last post, $35 is nothing but this one irks me. I really must be penny wise pound foolish LOL

I use cheques regularly for the boys fees, activities and fundraisers. They are just a part of my life right now and I accept that.

I was nearly out of cheques when I went in to pay off my loan so I ordered a new batch. Just regular ones. No fancy designs. No duplicates underneath. No hologram that looks like  a bunny one way and Brad Pitt the other.

This is at BMO and I just have  a regular performance plan there.

While the cheques did not arrive yet, the fee did, on my online statement. $35.47!! At first I thought, what the heck is that place where I spent money I don't remember. The name was just gobblydigook and initials. Then I figured out the scroll and was flooored. For cheques. It's been a heck of a long time....2 or 3 years, since I ordered cheques and I have $15 stuck in my head for some reason.

I thought perhaps it was an error and they had charged me for fancy cheques. I scoured the webpage and was unable to find the basic cost of plain cheques, so when I had to go to the bank Thursday, I asked them. No that was the regular price for plain jane cheques.

Back in December I posted about cheque usage and got a lot of great answers.

Lesson learned I guess. Check prices before you order so you can make an informed decision, or at least not be shocked.  I have also learned I need to try to reduce the number of cheques I write so they will last longer. For example, when I move money from Bank A to Bank B and have some to put in chequing and some to put in savings, I will write ONE check now and transfer  rather than write two.

5 comments:

savings said...

I HATE paying for checks. I think it's absolutely ridiculous that you have to pay money (and so much money!) for them! I ran out almost a year ago and haven't replaced them since. Sadly, since I have to start paying rent in a week, I have to order more. I'm not pleased!

Jolie said...

Savings - I hope yours don't cost nearly as much. With only using them to pay rent though, they will last a lot longer.

MM - I'm the same way. No clue what I paid 2+ years ago for cheques but I won't forget soon LOL. Duplicates are a good idea for things you need 'proof' of.

savings said...

They cost about 30 dollars, which seems insane. However, I really won't be using them for anything but rent aside from the occasional misc. item here and there. All my other bills are online.

Northern Living Allowance said...

That's a lot of money for cheques! I can't even remember what I paid for mine about 4 yrs ago - about $21 if I remember correctly (and I probably don't). I don't remember the last time I used one, actually. My rent payments are supremely easy - my landlords bank at the same bank I do, so it's a simple transfer. I'm extremely lucky that way. My current bank account is a chequing one, but I've never ordered cheques on it. I prefer to keep it that way if at all possible.

Anonymous said...

$35!! thankfully we don't have to pay for cheques here in the UK!