A year ago I had written about the little costs that add up for those of the female persuasion. I was curious to see how things had changed over the past year so I dug up my old post and did some recalculating. This is before our 10% taxes. The first number is the 2008 number, the second, in brackets, is the current number. This is based over a one month period so I have prorated things I don't use a whole container of in one month.
Bodywash - $2.46 ($0)
Shampoo - $4.40 ($2.50)
Conditioner - $4.40 ($3.00)
Blush - $2.41 ($2.50)
Eye Shadow - $2.98 ($3.00)
Lipstick - $4.23 (0)
Toothpaste - $2.08 ($1.50)
Fem. Products - $8.96 ($9.95)
Deodorant - $5.94 ($3.00)
Contact Solution - $8.88 ($5.00)
Gel - $9.92 ($5.00)
Razors - $5.99 ($3.00)
Facewash - $7.11 ($5.00)
Foundation - $11.47 ($12.00)
Moisturizer - $19.97 (15.00)
Mascara - $7.47 ($7.50)
Under eye roller n/a ($8.00)
MONTH TOTAL - $98.59 ($85.95)
ok so the price has gone down but man that is insane for costs, even at drugstore/walmart prices.
Added was an undereye roller ball from l'oreal. I have horrible dark shadows. always have. Thought I'd give it a try to see.
Deleted was lipstick. I really just don't use it.
Deleted was body wash. I found that I had so many little bottles given as gifts from students in the past and I might as well use them up. I haven't bought any since April or so.
Some things, like moisturizer, foundation and feminine products have gone up. Surprise surprise. Other things I am just learning to use less of or be more sparing with them. It is surprising how far things go.
Of course not included in the list are things that are sporadic use, that are harder to track over a monthly basis. Things like lipchap, motrin, cough medicine, or the rare bottle of bubble bath I buy. Things like that.
Since some of these things last for more than a month, short of actually writing down the date I start a new one, I am guestimating a bit on whether it lasts 6 weeks or 8.
It was last time, and still is this time, a most interesting experiment to track.
If I had unlimited $, I think these kinds of items would be the first to be replaced by more expensive ones. I do love my lotions and potions. LOL
Menu Plan Sunday
13 hours ago
5 comments:
Neat experiment! That's really interesting that you went out and compared the prices.
I started using a menstrual cup just over a year ago, and although money wasn't the reason I bought it, a nice side effect is that I'm no longer buying ANY disposable feminine products. I use the Diva Cup, but there are many different ones out there. (And no, I don't work for them!)
ooooh I like this! I might just have to do a guy's version and compare it next to yours ;) look out for some action!
Thanks Jesse. It was part of my original 'man things add up' ah ha moment.
Sarah...I did try that. Without gory details it was......errrr.....not conducive for my needs lol
J Money I can't wait to see. I've always wondered about the male version.
Great post! I am giving away a menstrual cup here: http://www.ultimatemoneyblog.com/reviews :)
Post a Comment