I have been putting off writing this entry, mostly hoping things would get better and it wouldn't be a stressor. Close your eyes and wish for it to go away and it will, right???
Money is not going well for us these days.
In mid June, DH hurt his back at work. He was in and out of emergency, off work for quite a while and even now is only on half days. His boss is saying there is no possible way it could have happened at work and has put some pretty negative feedback in his reports to Workman's Compensation.
DH brought home a net wage of $286 for the month of July. It's been 6 weeks since he was hurt and there is still no progress on his WCB case. We called Monday and his case worker was out and the girl we spoke to told us brand new information ....his case is in dispute as 'questionable'.
This has taken a big hit to DH, both financially and emotionally. He is a hard worker and can always be counted on. His boss, whom we thought he had a good relationship with, is being a real jerk about this. Some of the things he has said to DH have been very hurtful. Liar. Old. Useless. Pansy
I really would like to push on this, but DH doesnt' want to rock the boat. We both realize that if he causes a stink they would find a way to 'let him go' at some point. DH doesn't really have a whole lot of skills and would have a very tough time finding employment I think.
He usually brings home just under $1100 net every two weeks. Not a whole lot. We divide up the bills 70/30. His bills from our joint life are the mortgage $600, Electricity and Natural Gas. He also has his vehicle payment, his truck insurance, fuel etc etc.
Needless to say, $288 would not go a long way.
He is stressed and depressed, angry and moody.
In the past he has resisted any conversations about budget and expenses and any attempts escalate quickly into fights.
He hit a huge emotional low on Monday after he found out his case was in dispute. I paid the electric and gas bills for him. The gas bill is just for furnace and water heater and obviously the furnace hasn't been used in quite some time. Apparently they have been very low estimating usage and there is no record of DHs phone calls when we were asked to call in actual readings. So July became a catch up month to the tune of $386. I called and they went over our usage etc, but the bill stands as accurate. It was the straw, for DH. It will transfer money tomorrow to cover the mortgage on Aug 1. So that is $1000 gone out of my budget which would have gone towards college, DS's trip. RRSP savings etc etc.
It's a team thing and I am not going to let a payment go by without paying it, but I am worried as this may go on for quite some time. It has brought home how incredibly close we are to living paycheck to paycheck.
Not Much Working Out Monday
3 hours ago
11 comments:
I'm so sorry you are dealing with this! Makes me thankful for my emergency fund, which I know you have too. Of course it hurts to take money from there, but what a relief that you have it.
Hopefully this will make him more willing to talk budget and finances, even though it's a frustrating situation. And hopefully it can get resolved in your favor soon. Best of luck!
LBC Teacher
Hang in there Jolie! I know its easier said than done. I pray that things turn out well for you all.
Oh my goodness, Jolie. I can't believe his boss. That's terrible. I hope you're able to get regular income coming on for your DH soon.
Oh the stories I can tell about WCB... You have to get a G.P. or another Doc on your DH's side to do battle with those jerks.
And that boss of his should be kicked in the azz with a harassment/human rights citation.
If his employer and WCB can weasel out of payments they will. Its a shame how injured workers are treated!
Keep a journal of all contact, medical treatments, daily symptoms, what the jerk boss has said, all spending that is injury related. They will intimidate and bully relentlessly. If your DH doesnt stand up for himself they will happily mistreat him and deny benefits!
He needs a family doc to stand up against those jerks!
Good luck with this Jolie!
Thank you so much everyone. I have shown him how to document his calls. I took screen shots of some of the texts from the boss, though the worst said was verbal. I have had him make phone calls to different folk to check status, but each one of those was a push for him, which doesn't help his mood. That fine line between a wife trying to help and a wife seen as nagging. I appreciate your support
As someone who works with WC at my job, I can understand both sides. The boss is out of line, however. A lot of claims go into questionable because so many people fake claims (we get about 1 fake, expensive claim out of every 5). That said, it is difficult to prove where something happens, unless it is immediate and properly documented. As others have said, keep documented. If he feels he is not getting the care he needs from the current doctor, he can suggest someone else. Depending on the type of work he does, there may not be any way to deny the claim. I know that's CA, but in the US, when someone is injured and put to light duty, assuming he can perform any sort of light duty work, that work is given to them at comparable wages, and the difference in money is paid by the WC carrier. Don't let it drop; that's the easiest way to lose the claim. I am surprised they are not paying at least to match up to 70% of his wages... that, I do not understand, especially if the claim is not denied.
RE: his job, most smart employers with HR depts, or even without them, but that are knowledgeable wouldn't dare to term someone who just had a WC claim so recently without some REALLY good proof. The risk isn't worth it at all, and chances are you will lose. Document the difference in treatment between now and before in regards to hours, wages, tasks. Hope they come to their senses and resolve the issue soon.
I'm sorry to hear about all this mess. I've been through the WSIB path before. It's a PAINFUL long process despite my boss was supportive. I can't imagine what you're going through with your husband's boss trying to weasel out of this. Good luck.
Hi Jolie. Hope things financially turn around for you. I know the feeling - secure job that turns to shambles. I drove to Estevan and back last week and wondered if I drove through your town :) take care
Oh Jolie, how awful. I have had dealings with Worker's comp myself and know how yucky they can be about things. I've had to prove my case over and over and the injury occurred in l993!!! I think I'm finally done with it but it sure wasn't easy. I hope this reaches a happy conclusion but I feel for what hubby (and you) are going through.
HUGS!!!
Thank you thank you everyone for being such great support. It means a lot to me.
Tania I appreciated hearing things from the other side of the desk. It was good for me to remember to see it both ways.
DH resumed light duty last week with all his restrictions and limitations. That is when he was called useless. This week he is technically on vacation as this is the week he booked back in Feb when they had to book their weeks. I wonder if he will get his pay for that?
Rose - I suspect you did not. We are much more north than Estevan. I hope you enjoyed your journey through the lower part of our province. It is indeed flat down there, but in my neck we have lovely rolling hills.
Post a Comment