I had a very quick but good trip into Saskatoon the other day when I went to the gastrointestinal specialist. The hospital is located on campus at U of S, my old alma mater. Everytime I go back by campus I get hit with waves of nostalgia. I don't think I was particularly connected when I went to University. I didn't belong to any groups or clubs. I didn't have gaggles of friends I hung out with and solved the world's problems over coffee. I was quite a loner to be honest. Not by choice. I just had trouble connecting and fitting in. When I go by campus now I often wish I had used my time differently there.
As you can see above, it's a beautiful campus. This building is the pharmacy college. Many of the buildings on campus are made from this lovely stone and several of them are built around an oval park area called 'the bowl'. Time to appreciate the greenery is limited to a month or so in the fall session, and for those who take spring or summer session. The rest of the time it is cold and the wind blows wickedly through the channels between the buildings. It was cold and windy yesterday and I watched groups of people doing the traditional 'get to class' walk. Bundled up. Only eyes showing. Head down. Walk fast. Very fast. Talk to no one until you get inside. ahhh I remember that walk well. lol
The doctor visit went well. She was really really nice and very easy to talk to. Sometimes when you go to a new dr they talk way over your head or they make you feel like you are wasting your time by being there. It was really nice to be able to go there and NOT feel that way.
She is concerned that my inflammation hasn't gone down yet and has jacked up my pills. I'm not thrilled about going back on the steroid. I hate the puffy face and the insomnia, but I recognize that the first step is to get this inflammation GONE and the condition stabilized. I will go back there again in a couple months. I will have to have another colonoscopy as well. Sigh.
I didn't have a ton of time before I had to get back home. I made a couple stops for things for upcoming school functions that we can't buy at home, I hit Costco and I gave myself ONE splurge.
I made a quick stop at the bookstore and used my allowance to buy myself Gail's newest book. Technically it's an older book revamped and updated, but I hadn't read the original. I started it while I curled up for a quick bite to eat in the city, and have been thumbing through it this morning. I don't think it's necessarily a feminist book....just targetting an audience that traditionally has not been as involved in finances as their male counter parts.
The ideas in the book transcend gender and have advice for anyone, male or female, who is just beginning to take an active role in understanding their own money. I look forward to reading it all the way through.
Not Much Working Out Monday
3 hours ago


10 comments:
Your old campus reminds me of Western University here in London - perhaps they were built around the same time.
I haven't read that Gail book yet - let me know if you learn something NEW!
Really love the picture of your old campus. I bet it can be extremely cold and you haven't forgotten that fact.
Hopefully your infection clears up with the stronger pills.
I was wondering about Gail's new re-vamped book hopefully you'll keep us posted of any new ways we may have forgotten to be able to save more.
Have a great weekend.
Hope the inflammation gets better with the drugs now! Let us know what you think of the book! I love Gail!
Thanks everyone for the happy health comments. I am hoping I get de-inflamed soon :-)
I will post about the Gail book in a week or so after I have poured through it.
It's a beautiful campus. Some days I long for those simple days again.
I hope you start feeling better soon! Glad the doctor was nice, that always helps!
I was wondering about that book...I looking forward to your review when you finish!
I can't even imagine Saskatoon in the winter! Love the look of the campus however!
Hope you start feeling better soon. I stayed at the UoS when I was doing some field work out there and I remember admiring the beautiful campus.
You're lucky you're in Canada and don't need to buy insurance to go to the doctor. It's such a nightmare in the US right now. I'm currently uninsured and can't afford it. I hope this next administration leads to changes that will actually help everyone this time around.
Jerry - you are very right. I am lucky. Many folk take it for granted.
Post a Comment