I read here and there on blogs how folk don't even have actual 'hold in your hands' paper cheques anymore, or if they do, they rarely use them. I was pondering this the other night when I was waiting outside the school for my son and can't imagine functioning without them currently.
Now don't get me wrong. I DO use these new fangled computer technologies often. I pay bills online. I do money transfers. I never use a cheque in a store anymore. Haven't for............gosh...........a long time.
But there are areas in my life where I am not quite sure I would function successfully without my chequebook. There are places where cash just isn't a good way of paying as it would be a schwack of bills. Or sometimes you pay but receipts are not provided. Here's just a wee list of how those little rectangular symbols of money are necessary in my world:
a) when the boys went to the sitter, I paid by cheque.
b) their school fees
c) their sports/extra curicular fees
d) my staff fees
e) those evil men who bring tubs of books and such to staff rooms
f) the fundraising items teams and clubs in our area like poinsettias, cookie dough, hams, turkeys etc
g) Scholastic Book Clubs
So do you use cheques? a lot? a little? never? what things do you use them for?
If you have any of my above expenses and do not pay by cheque, how DO you pay for them?

7 comments:
I RARELY use cheques anymore.
Only when having to provide a void cheque for some kind of monthly payments.
I also write a cheque to my hairdresser.
That's about it!
I was actually talking with my mum about cheque usage. She was reminiscing about paying for groceries with a cheque - how times have changed! ;)
I only use cheques now when I need a void cheque to register myself for something.
Or giving a large amount to someone that I can't give by credit card or online. Usually, this is money to my parents for monthly rent/expenses.
I receive checks but I don't write them.
If I have to send a check I do it through the online bill pay. Then the money comes straight out of my account so I don't have to worry about $50 suddenly missing.
I do however carry one check in my wallet as a "just in case" measure. So far I've only used it for setting up direct deposit accounts with employers.
I do however get paid a lot in checks for tutoring. So it is definitely not obsolete. =)
I have cheques still. I use them for the VOID thing when necessary, but I still use them when I owe someone something for say Pampered Chef or something similar in nature. I also use them once in a while for payments of bills and things when I want to, and for sports fees still.
Though, for a good chunk of what I write cheques for I alternate between giving the cash and writing the cheque. I can't see getting rid of them completely.
I do pay all of my bills online, but like you, I will use a check when it comes to things like school, extra curric things...
I use checks 2 or 3 times a month. We pay our rent, and I use them for a few other things. I still cannot imagine not using checks.
Thanks for all your comments everyone! It's really interesting to hear how other people use cheques, or, don't use them. I am a long way currently from not using them, but they do last a long time.
Post a Comment