Pages

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Almost the end of the month psychology

I can certainly see how that 'last week of the month' changes my mindset. I see how much is left in each category and it really is hard not to just say 'screw it' and spend it all. After all my bills were paid on time, I paid a lot extra down on debt etc etc.

I can see this is going to be a big part of the growing experience for me. Twice in the past week I opted to use my debit card instead of going home for cash and that is how I got into this mess in the first place. Well partly. lol Both times after using it, I made myself go home and dip into the appropriate jar, take out the amount I debited and set it aside as part of 'next week's jar money'. It was hard to do though.

I spent the first..almost 3 week of this month in robotic hibernation. Work, home, the boys' activities and that was about it. It's easy to save this way. I go nowhere and nothing unexpected came up. It also isn't reality. Not even a close. :-)

So today and for the rest of this week (Jan 24 is the end of 'this month') it is more realistic. I have used up stores in my pantry and freezer and will have to shop more. I am out of town in an hour for a hockey road trip so that means gas, supper and incidentals. My school goes for their day of skiing/snowboarding this Friday and my older son, who goes to a different school but is the same age, will probably come along as he has no exams that day. So that will be about $50 for him to snowboard as he does not own any equipment or have a pass. Still I balance that with the concept of knowing he hasn't gone yet this year due to injury and may not go again.

It will be interesting, at the end of this month, to see what % of each jar category I spent.

On the bright note it is ZERO today, after a whole month of forty below! It feels like spring out there. I went outside *whispers* without my coat!!!

Happy Sunday everyone.

1 comment:

FB @ FabulouslyBroke.com said...

Zero. *envious*

It must be a real relief to see what is being spent each week and to what percentages!

Fabulously Broke in the City

"Just a girl trying to find a balance between being a Shopaholic and a Saver."