So after my last colonoscopy it was decided that we needed to up our game med-wise. We did the steroids. We did the asacol. We did the...whatever level the drugs were that I couldn't handle the side effects of.
The next level are biological treatments. The standard Remicade and Humira are off my list as they are known to bring on MS symptoms. We didn't want to take the risk of that.
There is a newer biological on the market called Entyvio. It just finished it's clinical trial and was brought on the market in May of this year.
It is not covered under my drug plan. The drug company works with a provider and it looks like they will cover the costs of the meds. I never asked how much the drug was. I should do that.
I had to send in financials to prove our household income was at a level that we would be covered.
So off I go to the city. An hour and a half away. There are only 2 places in SK where the infusions are given. I am told it lasts 30 min. In comparison, the Remicade one was a 3 hour procedure I am told ( at least for the first time)
I get to have my favourite- an IV. Fingers crossed the side effects are minimal and I have no reactions. Oh, and that it works!!
Not Much Working Out Monday
3 hours ago
8 comments:
I hope it goes well and helps you feel better. My husband was on Remicade and now on Humira. Both really helped/help him, and once you get used to the injections it's not so bad. Right now his Humira costs about $1700/month (2 treatments), thankfully insurance covers all but $33/month. I don't know how we would afford it otherwise.
Oh boy. Good luck, Jolie! Sincerely hope you can find a remedy that works for you xx
First two veins blew. Trying #3.
Did I mention how much I love IVs?
Sending you hugs, Jolie!
Think about you! I hope you didn't have to drive thru any of the bad rain storms
How did it go Jolie? Hope all is well!
Once they got an IV in, the pump system kept beeping, saying there was a kink in the line. There wasn't. The poor nurse had to keep resetting the system every 45 seconds or so for about 10 minutes and then it calmed down. The infusion took 30 minutes. Then I had to sit for 30 minutes for observation. I was a tiny bit dizzy when it was going in, but that faded quickly.
Other than that, it was fine. No side effects thus far. No real changes either. She said it could take 3 to 6 months before I noticed a difference.
I will continue to take the Asacol (regular meds) until the dr tells me otherwise.
Thank you everyone for your positive energy. No big storms to drive through.
Didn't have to sign any papers there. No bill/invoice. Didn't have to present my ID. Was weird LOL
It's a biologic, which means it is made from human.................something. The nurse didn't say what. blood? plasma? stem cells? eyeballs? lol no clue. I do want to know that answer.
How are you feeling now? I hope you don't have to do it very often and that it works! I can't believe they didn't ask for any information or documents though.
Post a Comment