I was happily PF blog surfing on Tuesday night and whammo! more viruses and trojans than I could shake with a stick. It wasn't from one on my blogroll, but one in a bookmark I visit from time to time. I can't even remember which one. It wouldn't let me access my AVG. Couldn't open any programs. I cold shut down and opened and more of the same.
I took it to the doctor and it is gone. dead. rip. so much damage they couldn't ressussitate. It had been giving me problems lately and had been to the dr in the past but I didn't think I was going to have to replace it quiet yet.
Thank god my pictures and files were on a flashdrive.
So began the shopping for a new laptop. I checked out a few different ones. Not a whole lot different in price between HP and Acer and Toshiba. Staples gives 15% off for teachers on the 9th of August, so that is when I will go. 15% is good assuming the prices aren't 15% higher than other places. I will have to do a bit of quick research before then to make sure I am getting as good a deal as I can get.
They charge for set up. $99. I may opt for that.
they charge $50 for Norton and installation. I do not think I will do that. I will go back to AVG. I found norton slows my system down so much.
I lost a few of my bookmarks but I have some of them downstairs on the desktop so hopefully I can find everything again.
This will take about $600 to $700 out of my budget. I will have to spend some time between now and then to figure out how to make this work so that this does not become new debt.
Not Much Working Out Monday
2 hours ago
10 comments:
That just really really bites big time!!!
Ugh!! Bummer! There should be some great laptop deals soon with back to school sales! Good luck!! :)
If AVG didn't prevent viruses the first time, why would you go back to it again? I would definitely recommend Norton. I have it, and have never had one problem since, even with speed. Also, perhaps you can get 15% discount on the Norton software package, and install it yourself. I have absolutely zero computer knowledge or skills, yet still was able to install Norton antivirus myself. (eg. if you have created this blog ... you are already in the area of more computer knowledge than me .... so you should be able to install the Norton software yourself with no problems whatsoever. You literally just install a CD, then hit "Enter" whenever prompted to. That's it).
Oh no! I was having a few laptop issues the other day, but I seem to be in the clear now. What type of operating system were you running before? I find the newer versions of Windows to be pretty good for filtering out common junk and problems. Hope the discount is a success!
My work IT guy and my son, the IT guy, both recommend AVG. Norton does slow it down, not to mention the cost of it. I put it on my old computer awhile back when I had virus's and it made it even slower that it was getting. Not all programs (even AVG) are going to get all the virus's out there but AVG seems to be a good choice. Another one both recommended is Malwarebytes.
Buy a mac, teachers get a discount! I've had mine for 3 years and it still runs as fast as when I bought it!
Bummer! The set up is really easy to do yourself (I just go to unstall programs and delete the crapware then go to www.ninite.com and click on all the programs I want to download onto my computer). Also, I use Avast (free) for virus protection and it seems to work better than AVG (which I used to use).
Thanks everyone. So many out there that look like a real program. At least I didn't click on it. It did all the damage it wanted just by existing. I have updated AVG downstairs on the desktop and things have been fine with it for the past year. *knock on wood*
That definitely does suck. Stupid murphy. I do highly suggest a HP, I love mine and it's done me well. Good luck!
Ugh. I hate it when that happens. So sorry to hear. :( I hope you didn't have any important data on it.
Post a Comment