Pages

Saturday, April 14, 2012

cheques? check!

I know  a LOT of you don't use cheques at all anymore. You are able to pay for what you purchase through cash or CC or online banking.

I still use cheques. Not everyday. Not a ton of them. But they are still in my life.

I have two chequing accounts  - one main one and one at my credit union where I keep the 'boys account' and my savings, TFSA etc.

I KNOW I posted about the cost of the cheques I ordered from my main account but I can't find that post for the life of me.

I had to order new cheques for my 'boys account'. This is the one I use primarily for activities for the boys: school fees, extra curricular fees, activity fees, camp fees, etc. I also use it if I am donating $ to a charity or if I buy something, say at a home party, or from the tradespeople who bring stuff to the school. I used it at Christmas for the $ gifts to my new great niece and nephews for their RESP plans.

A set of 100 cheques for this account will last me a long long while. Much longer than the days when folks used them at the stores for shopping, I suspect. The cost to me was $21.52.   I don't remember how much the cheques from my primary account cost, and I WILL find that blog entry, but I know my CU charge is much less than the primary one.

Now if I could just do a good job of using my cheque register and reconciling it.

9 comments:

its me, sam said...

Jolie, I still use cheques for things like magazine subscriptions, oil bill and the plow for the winter. It makes life easier for me, and I'm like you need to remember what was written when!

Rhitter94 said...

I only use checks for paying our space rent bill. Other than that.. that is about it.

Anonymous said...

I use cheques too still. The kids schools don't issues receipts for anything, so I make sure I write a cheque as my own receipt. I write cheques to myself, to transfer money from my pay account to my mortgage account. I pay the garbage service by cheque, since they dont have online layment.I use presidents choice as my main Chequing account, so I ne'er have paid for cheques. My issue is making sure I don't over spend!!

Fleur said...

We still use check for some things as well.

Some companies still don't have very user friendly online bill pay systems.

If we try to put money online into our kids' school lunch account, there is a fee! So we still write a check for that as well.

Girl Makes Cents said...

"While the cheques did not arrive yet, the fee did, on my online statement. $35.47!!" That was from you in April 2010.

I hate paying for cheques. I use them too, rarely though. I do cheques for rent, and use the odd VOID cheque for direct deposits from different jobs.

Jerry said...

I like checks, too! I like seeing the cancelled ones coming back to me in my monthly statement. I feel like it's my 'insurance' things went through properly. It does lead to some inconvenience but I don't mind for the moment.

Cash Only Living said...

Reading your post reminded me that I havent wrote a check in many months. I use cash at local stores and debit card for paying bills, online purchases, etc. I wounder if checks will be eventually phased out?

Maureen said...

I can't remember the last time I sent or received a cheque.
even when running the Restaurant we never used them...

Just glanced at your snowflakes while reading this post, that's awesome.....

Tania said...

I only use cheques for rents, because the landlords prefer it. So many more convenient ways to pay, but oh well. A pack of 50 checks costs me about $5 or free (I too have 2 different checking accounts), and it lasts me for years.