This year was quite a different year. I actually used some of the money on myself. Usually it is all for the boys and things that make them happy. I don't bebgrudge them that at all, but it was harder (with a bit of guilt) that I spent money on me. It DID get easier as the summer went on though LOL
I had saved up $1000 and here is where it all went.
- $200 for a visit with my friend. I went at the start of summer and met her halfway. Haven't seen her in years. That money was for gas for the 9 hour return trip drive and a bite to eat.
- $100 for Golf. The boys went earlier this summer to the lake to golf. Fees, cart and gas
- $275 went for tickets to Wicked, parking at the theatre and a supper beforehand. A group from work was going. I had initially expressed interest in a ticket. That changed to a bit of sticker shock when I found out the tickets were $109 each. This came at a time when job action was happening and I was in a bit of panic mode at the smaller paycheques and the uncertainty of the future. I backed out at that point. Perhaps the quietness of summer calmed me but at the beginning of August I decided I really wanted to go. I contacted the lady who bought the tickets for the group to see if she had any left. She had two. I jumped on them. I am taking niece 1 of 4 with me. She is expecting her first in September. She's off work on mat leave and her significant other just got bumped out of his job due to increases in administration (which equals cuts down at the grunt level). He's been there for five years and to lose his job was a bit of a shocker, especially with the baby coming. When I talked to her to see if she wanted to go with me I could tell she was hesitant and she asked how much the tickets were. I laughed and said they were free for expectant mothers!! I am so glad to be able to treat her. I honestly don't remember the last time I did. I do remember taking her to Oliver and Company when she was 6. She sobbed at the beginning when the kitties are abandoned in the box and no one wants them and it was cold and raining. That was 21 years ago. I am picking her up in the burbs outside the city and then we are going for supper, then the movie.
- $100 for the Fair. The boys went this past Fri night. We don't always go. It does cost. I persuaded their dad to take them while I went to Wicked. DS1 met him there after practice. This money covered their admission ($8 each), ride passses were $32 each. Their dad can pick up any food needs they had there.
- $100 US to Nephew 4 of 5. He left today for the States. He just graduated this June and is going to visit folks in Colorado to see if he wants to become a hunting guide. He's very excited about that. He was coming through town and I stopped for literally 2 minutes to hug him and slip him some emergency money. "to tuck away for an emergency," auntie said. He was very surprised.
- $20 to niece 4 of 4. She was in town with her mom and her brother before they took him to the airport in the city. She's worked all summer and is very responsible, but what teenage girl wouldn't want an extra $20 to spend?
- $125 for movies. I hit 3 movies in the city this summer. Money covers admission and shared gas costs to city.
- $80 for misc boys' expenses. Money for DS2 when he went to BC and money for DS1 when he went into the city for ice times.
8 comments:
it's so crazy how quickly time goes...and money for that matter too.
it's great you were able to do all of those amazing things this summer.
That's great!! Looks like you had a great summer! Our summer fund is gone too....but we had a lot of fun too! I'd love to save up for another summer fund, but not sure that theres anywhere else to cut back!
I'm sure the two of you will love Wicked. It is pricy to see it, but it's a great event.
I think it's wonderful that you could treat your niece to Wicked. I hope she liked it as much as you did!!
Summer went by way to quick!
you did great this summer!!
I think your money went a long way - some for fun and some for others - you are so generous:) And I'm so glad you spent a bit on yourself, you so deserve a treat now and then!
does this mean... you drove 4.5 hours to just share a meal together? Pity you couldn't spend more time together. Cause that's a long drive! =(
PS - Wicked? Totally worth it eh? :D
Post a Comment