of summer
I can't complain. I really can't. I get a long summer. but like everyone else coming off holidays, I have a last day before work starts. This is it. It feels very bittersweet.
I know getting back to routine is always good for me, but it does start to feel like a hamster wheel after awhile - and I am afraid to get off it without getting my foot caught in the spokes.
So I am curled up on my couch with fresh coffee in hand, watching an episode of Gail Vaz Oxlade on Slice tv, and plotting how to spend my last day.
I had 2 whole days alone - Thursday and Friday. DS1 was gone to hockey camp in BC and DS2 was at bible camp. I spent one long full day at school working and the other I spent shopping for household things and cleaning and laundry....updating budget and expenses etc.
It felt very luxurious being at home alone. Does that make me a bad mother?
speaking of bad mothers, when I went to pick DS2 up from camp yesterday I got there early. I know they are all busy wrapping things up so I stayed in the parking lot with my window open and read so I wouldn't take away that last time from DS. I saw him way off but didn't say anything. He and his friends were sitting at a picnic table. Voices carry. I heard him say once "WHY WHYYYYYYYYY does my mother have to be here?" Then again 10 minutes later I heard him, in response to someone, saying "well I want that to NOT be my mother sitting over there in the parking lot" There was such venom in his voice. It hit my soul. I turned the vehicle on and spun out of the parking lot and headed back to the highway and just drove and cried til I could pick him up and not cause a scene there. He's never spoken like that about me (as far as I know). It was a very long hard day for the two of us. I felt hungover by supper with the emotional drain. I am not sure what I did wrong that he feels that way about me.
So today I can choose to spend time at home with DS2. head to the city with him to watch a movie. or go to the school. I guess we will see how he feels when he wakes up.
I watched the memorial yesterday of Jack Layton, Leader of the Opposition. Another person (who happens to be a national politician) gone too soon. His son spoke, very well, as did his daughter. I am haunted by something they said....a quote from their father.
"You can wait forever for perfect conditions, or you can make the best of what you have right now"
Not Much Working Out Monday
2 hours ago
4 comments:
My best guess is that you didn't do anything wrong...he's a teenager, so there will be times he feels frustrated or embarrassed by you. It also sounds like the kids were all complaining about moms, so he joined in. Not that it makes it any less hurtful, but I doubt it's something you specifically did. Perhaps let him know that you heard him and that it was hurtful? Even if it's "normal" teenage behavior, he needs to learn that his words have the power to hurt others.
Jolie, I'm sorry today is your last day of summer vacation - sigh... but I know you are a passionate teacher and you'll get into your groove and will sail successfully through the school year, seeing a new bunch of grade 8'ers into highschool!
I'm also sorry to hear about your son's comments about you. I guess this sentiment between teenagers and parents is going around these days...
I know you have a great relationship with your son, and he's probably just trying to spread his wings of independence. It seems they are ready to fly the coup far sooner than we are ready to let them go... another sigh...
And just to share a little story about Big M, who's only 9... she was invited to a pool party. I'm a nervous nelly when it comes to my kids in water, so I told her I was staying at the party. She was SOOOO mad at me - glared at me for the first hour of the party. In the end, she was happy I stayed because it really wasn't disruptive to the party and we were able to enjoy the activity together... Ah well... I'm sure they still love us, even if we sometimes smother them. :)
~ Makky's Mom
Oh it breaks my heart to read about your son's reaction... I would say it's because his friends were around and he didn't realize you could hear {{{hugs}}}
Hope your last day went well... good luck for the upcoming school year!
Hope you enjoyed your summer vacation!
I hope that you have a good year
so sad about ds... I think kids don't realize sometimes...
Post a Comment