I jotted mine down here. Some are yearly. Some depend on where we celebrate Christmas. Some depend on the weather/temps/amount of snow.
As you celebrate with your family I hope you enjoy many traditions, old and new.
- Christmas Music: There are some local singers that have in house CDs. Nothing makes me feel more in the season than listening to them. Beyond that, Jim Reeves is a favourite. I know I know, I'm not THAT old. but mom used to play it all the time on our old big box 8 Track. He has such a wonderful deep voice. Don't worry. there are lots of newer artists I like too LOL. Some of my favourites are Trisha Yearwood's 'Sweet little jesus child' and "it wasn't his child', Bon Ami's 'Mary's Boy child' and different artists renditions of Silent Night, O Holy Night etc
- We always try to tour about and see what other houses have done with their lights. We put up our own and that's really all I want to put up. Others are very excited to decorate and we appreciate them; small lights and big fancy designs.
- Opening Gifts: When we are in town for Christmas, the four of us always open our gifts up together first thing in the morning. Well, six of us actually. The cats love hanging out and jumping from box to box, claiming it as their own. When we are out of town, we take along a couple gifts but leave the rest to open when we return. When we go over to mom's, she likes to take us one 'family' at a time (there are four of us sisters). After a couple of mass opening fiascoes, my mother put her foot down. Families go one at a time downstairs to open them by the fire and anyone else who is home stays upstairs to give mom and dad that special time with each group.
- Christmas brunch. Around 11 AM, whoever is home heads to mom and dad's for Christmas brunch. She loves having everyone there for meals and this is a special time for her. The one year we had to go to DH's sister's house in town instead. My boys were devastated to miss this tradition with my parents.
- Get moving activities: It really depends on the weather. Could be ice fishing or snowmobiling (borrowing my dad's). could be skating indoors or out. Hockey. Could be going to the school gym (mine or my sister's if we're up there) and playing volleyball or watching Sister 2 and Sister 3 go head to head in basketball 21. One of the best years was when we rented the curling rink and had a family bonspiel there on Boxing Day.
- Sleigh Rides: We don't always get to but oh my it's magic when we do. Sometimes it is with the Scouts. Sometimes it is at my school. Sometimes the family arranged it and twice one of my friend's from work did it. Always such a wonderful time.
- We are quite a simple family. We gather together for food, laughter, drinks and good times. We do not do the 'dressed to the nines' Christmas supper. None of us has the room or a formal dining room for that. Our meals are not traditional served at the table kind. See above 'no room' statement. It's buffet styled and then we find seats where we can and enjoy the wonderful meal. Somewhere in that time together is games time. It takes a variety of forms: Kaiser, Cribbage, Crokinole (man that hurts my fingers), or different board games: Taboo, Balderdash, Cranium. Last year it was 'catch phrase'. We had a great time with that and tons of laughter. DS2 is actually really good at those sorts of games and that is ALWAYS his best memory of Christmas. DS1's involves food usually.
Probably our best Christmas tradition is sponsoring a family through the Food Bank. We were in that position once...12 years ago to be precise...and we will never forget how that felt.
I hope that whatever your traditions are, you have a wonderful holiday.





6 comments:
Merry Christmas to you and your family :)
I too have many family traditions that I hope to continue with my husband, and eventually when we have kids.
My husband, not so much...so he's adopted my family's traditions, and enjoys them.
Love that you shared your family traditions with us, sounds like a wonderful way to celebrate, the festive season.
HAPPY HOLIDAYS.
Great Traditions! I like Jim Reeves too. He had a wonderful deep voice. Sounds like you and your family had a wonderful time.
Even though we go ski all the time... one of our traditions in our little house is going skiing on Christmas Day... it is how we unwind & spend some extra time having fun together...
I hope you had a wonderful Christmas! :)
Great traditions! So much love and family...exactly what Christmas is about.
I love the idea of games...I think this year we may do that for New Year's Eve...
My parents had that same Jim Reeves album - my mother was kinda sweet on him:) I'm not sure where the album is now though - perhaps I can find it as a CD - that would really bring back some memories - all nice ones.
Post a Comment