anyhoooooooo we are having a heck of a time getting rid of this car. My husband has been living on kijiji for the past year as we search for DS1's new car so he wanted to post his dad's car on there. He has no clue how to do such things so I dutifully popped it on there with info and pics.
We had an email from someone asking if we still had the car and our price so I replied back. Yesterday morning I get the oddest email ever. I'll post some of it.
Hello,
Thanks for the prompt reply.Well am okay with the asking price ($3000.00) for the ( vehicle ) and i Don't want you to worry abt the shipping because i have a shipping company that will be coming for the Pick up of the Advert at you residence as soon as payment has been made,The shipper will come for the immediate pick-up and make sure everything is clean up ok.
I also want you to know that i will be paying via Money Order and it will contain both your asking price and the shipping fees via my shipping company and no pick up will be made until Money order is received and cashed by you i also want you to be serious about this so we can both finished this transaction in one mind, and here are the details needed so that i can mail the Money order without any delay,i lookup concluding the sale sooner.Thanks
FULL NAME: (jolie's note: address phone etc)
As soon as this is received the payment will be mailed out with no further delay,Once the datas are provided to me,i can send payment immediately.I will be expecting your reply asap.? Kindly reply back with the requested question so the purchase can be completed.
Best Regard,
Stay Blessed With Your Family.
I had red flags going up all over so I texted hubby to say call home when you can. He really thought it was just someone who struggled with english and it was a sincere offer. I am like NOOOOO who ships a car? who buys one without seeing it first? who pays by a weird COD plus shipping????? I said no this is a scam dear. I will reply in email back saying 'we will not sell to someone who cannot pick it up themselves. thank you' etc
After I sent it, i rummaged around kijiji and found their 'keep yourself safe' section and there were exemplars of scams and a couple sounded suspiciously like the one I received :-)
I went back to my email and found that the reply I sent to this person was 'returned undeliverable as the email has been disabled'
I think sites like kijiji are great mediums for buying and selling products. As with anything, you need to be smart about the people you come in contact with and keep asking yourself 'does this sound right? does this make sense?"
And that was my big excitement for yesterday.
8 comments:
I think kijiji is a lot like craigslist for me. You are absolutely correct in this is a scam and mediums like these are wonderful, but you have to use some common sense.
Good for you that you did not fall for it.
Totally scam. Good thing you caught on. I can't believe your husband believed it though. It's a mighty suspicious sounding email.
Good for you Jolie, spotting the scam!
Sorry...that made me giggle! Good catch, Jolie! That is one of the most convoluted & oddest, as you say, emails I've seen in a LONG time. :P Good luck selling the car!
Good for you picking up the scam immediately, and I thought men were the more suspiscious.
I hate scammers!!!! why would people do that stuff?!?!?!
Yep, good for you for spotting the scam. I get similar scamy emails when I list my townhouse for rent. Strange "rent to buy" offers where I hand over the keys and just trust one day I'll see money. LOL.
Not gonna work with me, but sadly, it must work with some!
Anytime 'money order' comes up with regards to a purchase, it ought to be the last thing one reads before hitting DELETE.
Good catch. Hope it gets all sorted out in your family.
Post a Comment