Pages

Monday, December 25, 2017

Merry Christmas

There were some familiar elements to Christmas along with a few new ones.

We woke up to a quiet house this Christmas morning.

DS1 had left at 2 AM to head into the city to the airport. His flight was supposed to leave at 6 AM but his flight was delayed an hour due to extreme cold temps. He had a huge layover in Minneapolis anyways so we weren't concerned. He got to his home city about 5 PM and was exhausted and tired. One of the local moms invited him over for a Christmas supper, but I am not sure if he went.

DS2 got home from driving DS1 to the city, about 5:30 AM. He slept until 4 PM and stayed home instead of joining us for supper.

The GF was up and left to go home to her family about 8 AM. I was glad to get a text from her mom when she got home safely in this weather.

So really it was  a quiet morning of DH, the cat and myself, sitting watching TV. The little tree lights were on but the presents were gone as we opened them yesterday. A little coffee with baileys and some CSI reruns started my day.

DH and I went over to my parents' house and we had our usual Christmas brunch with them. It was different this year. Just the four of us. DH and I cooking it all. Mom is so weak and dad isnt' far behind. We managed to get them both to eat something so that was good. DH and I cleaned up and they both went to have naps.

Back at home I cleaned and did laundry. The basement looks normal again now that DS1 has gone. I took time honoured pleasure in beginning my annual Christmas break of going through drawers and tidying and sorting.

My oldest sister was hosting turkey here for those here in town. We went over and helped them get ready and I visited with my 3 great nieces. Ok one is a little standoffish, but she LOVES DS1's gf so that gives me some street cred.

We went and picked up mom and dad and brought them over for a little while. They both ate again so that was wonderful.

I got a moment alone with niece in law #1 and mouthed "is niece in law #2 expecting??"  The look of surprise on her face was something. My sister doesn't even know yet and it's very very early. She asked how I knew.... DS1 had noticed at supper on the 23rd that something felt dif about her. Good eye :-)   Hopefully she will tell my mom if things go south faster than she is prepared to tell everyone.

It was an early night as we took mom and dad home and got them settled for the night.

I am beyond exhausted and it will be early bed for me.

Everything today screamed 'THE LAST..."  I am grateful to HAVE 'the last' moments as I know many people do not, but it's hard as well.

1 comment:

Saskatchewan Savings said...

Wow what a long night for DS1 & DS2, not to mention you waiting for DS2 to get home! We were in Saskatoon for the holidays and there was so much fog coming off the river because even the half frozen river was too warm compared to the air, lol. Brrrr!