DS1 finally got his Christmas release and due back by dates from college. He is home earlier than usual by a week. This is because he has to be back early. They fly to the East Coast to play one of the Ivy league schools before New Year's.
I booked his flight back to the US first as it was the first date I had. Christmas Day. Flights are super expensive that day and the itineraries are not fun. It cost $900 for a one way ticket back for him. This is with a 6 hour layover. One stop in the middle.
There was a flight that was $100 ish cheaper but it had 2 stops with two long layovers. Would have taken him 16 hours to get home. Can almost drive it in that. DS also pointed out that they more flight changes, the more possibilities of flight delays and cancellations. good point.
The flight back here to Canada was listed at $547 (Same path. always cheaper flying this way than it is going down to the US). There were a few options there too but the price was mostly the same. When I clicked on expedia to book it, the cost came out at $267 with taxes and protection. I checked the info over and over to be sure it was the right flight on the right date going the right way. It was. Not sure how it changed by $300 while I was clicking but I was happy to take the savings. (As I typed this I checked again. I seem to have a paranoia that I am reading info wrong :-)
It will be wonderful to see him and have him home, even if my Christmas Day means getting up at 2 AM to get him to the city to catch his flight.
Not Much Working Out Monday
2 hours ago
4 comments:
There seem to be no bargains on flights. We are watching for my son, as his coming home is more a gift to me than him, so we help with the travel costs. Without ridiculous tranfers, even in the US flights are getting close to $500.
Brutal!! The airlines definitely know that people will pay big bucks to have their loved ones home on Christmas! But I'd pay it for mine too, so I can hardly blame you!
I'm not sure why but in my blog list your last post is dated Oct. 31 so I clicked on your URL to see if you were posting....which you are. I'm sure the problem is at my end. Anyhoo...I share your paranoia around travel arrangements and re-read my itineraries numerous times. I am so afraid I'll miss a connection or something. I also HATE long layovers. My first trip to the UK I had an 11 hour layover in Iceland and trying to get a little sleep laying on a bench was horrible!! Longest 11 hours of my life! After the expense of the first flight you booked I'm glad you caught a break in the next one!
Jane I have a few blogs on my roll that I can't seem to get the most recent post for. It shows one from several weeks ago. I have tried deleting the blogroll link and re-adding it and it still stays the same.
I have been a bad blogger the past few weeks. Colitis.
Post a Comment